1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Program ''There's an App for that''

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by IrishSceptic, Apr 4, 2016.

?

Is this a worthwhile idea to pursue? and should it be free?

Poll closed Apr 25, 2016.
  1. Yes , and it should be free

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but make it $5

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Okay folks, I mentioned this in the chat one day and need to flesh it out some more. I think it would be tremendously useful for people new to TMS or those recovering to have an app to log their day to day experiences. There are many top class apps designed to track chronic pain in a diary type format. This app would mirror some of that but more importantly be designed to reinforce some of the research around pain giving hope rather than condemning them. It could also be used as an entry point to those new to the whole idea....so someone could download the app without having to read any book etc. < this is an especially intriguing prospect.

App idea

Intro section explaining some key points about chronic pain/mindbody effects

Strangeness of pain, boot nail case BMJ , the general TMS theory of pain

Core Features??

Potential/common Key symptoms of MBS

ACE questionnaire and rationale for including it showing correlation with somatic effects(mindbody)

Personality test? assess likelihood someone is affected.

MBS probability score based on algorithm crunching combining all info entered into the app

Pain diary that will prompt you to connect fluxuations pain/ new symptoms at particularly stressful times. Number rating system, medication tracking,

Use CBT based principles to inform structure/recognise patterns/habits of thought that lead to TMS flares.

Show patterns of pain/stress help convince someone of the disorder being heavily related to stress.
    Reminder to complete a period of self-reflection, or time to journal.

I am only spitballing and have no idea how I would go about actually creating the app and getting it up and running but hope you guys could have some input into the idea.
    Cheers, Irish

2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Irish,
    I don't think tracking pain is a good idea as it focuses the person on the pain and the body. How about an evidence sheet where one tracks exceptions to the pain?

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I like the idea of an evidence sheet. Perhaps affirmations such as the 12 daily reminders could help as well.