1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

There is such thing delayed onset of pain ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ariel233, Oct 17, 2020.

1. ariel233

ariel233 New Member

Hey

I'm already wrote few posts about my story so I'll keep it short.
    I had shingles back in March and after shingles there is risk for long term pain called PHN after your nerves got damaged.
    It's usually continues to the pain of the shingles but I got this pain only 4.5 months after shingles cleared and all those time I was pain free.

Logically it doesn't make sense to me that "suddenly" out of the blue I get the nerve pain, after I was pain free so much time.
    I mean if the nerve really damaged so I had to get pain before right ?

My doc told me that thing like that could happen (although not usually).
    I searched for answers online and came across this research that tell it could happen because the there difference between what leads to the acute pain and what lead to the chronic pain and it could happen because of slow biochemical process of the body.

The research :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2FdoPE4lf5yTnD_IBwI-u8

I don't know it doesn't really convinced me it sounds like another thing they can't really explain, so it's pure TMS or it actually could be real thing ?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

LOLOLOL They are so full of shit. I almost pissed myself laughing at their arrogance.

Remember. TMS is largely rejected by the 'Structural mythology' Medical world..... the language in that paper was f-ing funny.... trying ANYTHING to explain symptoms they can't do anything about. They already elevated pain to disease status with "Chronic pain" and now....

Right before I discovered Sarno I was being treated at a really hoity-toity pro sports facility in Los Angeles. After failed therapy,surgery,chiro,meds, NINE epidurals and trashing me out into 'chronic pain' centers, they had a new theory... I had 'smushy' discs and they were going to run a microwave cable around my spine and make 'disc jerky' to dry them out LOLOLOL.....

Fibro, CRPS, RSI and Neuralgia's are all newer bullshit theory's that have come out since I got well...and I am sure I would have gotten those diagnoses too if I had stuck around.

It is a real thing... a doctor somewhere needed a topic for his Thesis so he made 'pain memory and slow onset'..... LOL

sorry. Not laughing at your concerns. Laughing at their Hubris. It's more BS , different day. Ignore it and keep working on the real problem. Repressed anger and other embarrassing emotions.

backhand and miffybunny like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @ariel233.

I'm with @Baseball65 - although of course neither of us is a medical professional. I didn't read the article, only the abstract, but here are a couple of my thoughts:

1. Consider phantom limb pain. This is pain that seems to originate from a limb which has been amputated - which of course makes no physiological sense. The explanation is that pain is actually just a message that comes from our brains as a reaction to nerves somewhere in the body that "request" the pain message. The nerves can't produce pain on their own - the pain must come from our brains. Here's the key thing to understand: our brains are able to keep generating the pain message even when the damaged nerves (in the amputated limb) that originally needed the pain message are gone.

TMS works the same way. Our brains create pain even when no pain message has been requested, because there's nothing actually wrong.

2. Consider that the entire medical community accepts that our bodies can become ill from stress. The stress can create physiological changes that lead to illness and disability. It is also widely accepted that stress can make other medical conditions worse. Right?

Taking both of the above together, do you think it's possible that your brain has taken your previous case of shingles, plus your knowledge of the underlying risk of PHN, in order to create PHN pain, custom-designed to scare you?

3. The article is from 2001. Whatever the authors have tried to say 20 years ago has not made it into current neurological theories about pain.

miffybunny, ariel233 and Baseball65 like this.
  4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow that article makes no cohesive sense! I would not give it any credence whatsoever. It's a bunch of word salad and seems to contradict itself at every turn. There is no mention of psychology or stress either. As Jan points out, it's quite dated and at this point archaic, since so much research on the brain has emerged in the past 2 decades. I have had an issue with a herpes lesion on my cheek since I was a baby. Every few years I seem to have an outbreak of sorts but there is medication for that now. I don't experience pain in between these events. It's most likely that your brain has latched on to this PHN thing and your fear is fueling it. The last time I had a herpes on my cheek about a year ago, I became very fearful of further scarring etc. ( I already have a scar) and the nerve pain in my face was off the charts for a day until I talked myself out of it basically. I think my TMS was kicking in and the brain was taking over at that point. The article you cited is replete with misinformation imo.

Baseball65 and backhand like this.
  5. ariel233

ariel233 New Member

I'm not sure about all of that so I just want to be clear:

If my nerves already injured in March and I was pain free till August (when the nerve suppose to be damaged) can I use TMS to make this effect again ? Or there is chance that something changed ?

6. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

That is what we're telling you... TMS takes NORMAL regular physical anomalies and turns them into stuff to obsess about where our brain keeps going "Just to be clear...?" "But what about....?"

There is no correlation between the symptoms and the physical 'tests'...

The nerve to my thumb was severed in 2013 during an accident when they had to re-attach it. There was only pain for the first week or so and to this day I have even gotten back 90% of the feel.... but the part I am missing is NUMBNESS. Dr. Sarno pointed out the same thing....true damaged nerves eventually stop sending ANY signal (Numbness) NOT pain.

your brain wants to play ring around the rosy on this...that's as effective as pain as a distraction.

Disregard their 'test' and start looking at your life and why you might need a distraction.

BloodMoon, plum and ariel233 like this.
  7. ariel233

ariel233 New Member

You know online sources for tms and nerve damage ?

8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

What we are trying to say is :

1. Do not believe in a 19 year old article .

2. Your doc says this can happen, but doesn't know why. And apparently is not too concerned. Or has no solution.

3. When they can't tell you why pain randomly occurs, and have no solution for it, your only option is to assume it is caused by your brain, which we call TMS in honor of Dr Sarno.

4. No, we don't have any online resources for nerve damage and TMS. Once we acknowledge that our symptoms are TMS, the details are meaningless. You treat all TMS the same, which is to understand that the symptoms are created by your brain.

5. We have two free programs for learning to change your brain and how you perceive and process emotions. I suggest you do one of them. There are many other resources as well. My profile lists my favorites.

Baseball65 likes this.