1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Therapy suggestions HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Shabda-girl, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Shabda-girl

Shabda-girl Peer Supporter

In the book The Great Pain Deception by Steven Ray Ozanick, he quotes Sarno as writing that behavioral therapy is "singularly ineffective" in stopping TMS. And being that I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and depression secondary- which is the cause of my TMS pain, I tend to need ongoing therapy. I have been receiving cognitive behavioral therapy before I moved to Texas but now I am wondering if there is a better therapy that would be more effective for helping me heal the TMS and anxiety. Suggestions and advice would be greatly,greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Megan
    PS The closest TMS therapist to me, is located an hour away. i would be willing to see if she does therapy over the phone but I would need to make sure that she accepts my insurance, so if anyone has suggestions of an effective type of therapy that I could search for locally, it would really help.

2. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

I would highly recommend that you read Dr. James Alexander's book, "The Hidden Psychology of Pain".
    I think perhaps EMDR or Coherence Therapy could help you and there are many others described in Dr. Alexander's book. I think it is probably the best Psychology book on the market today because it describes the latest advanced in Neuroscience as well as many self help approaches. You can use this book to decide which type of therapy would be best for you. I have decided to try to get some EMDR because I have traumatic childhood issues that are difficult to deal with.

3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to the best choices for therapy but I have been through my share (for anxiety and depression). I'm not entirely convinced that I can conquer the TMS without therapy but I read somewhere recently that there are almost 100 different kinds of psychotherapy and not every one works for every person, so I'm taking my time and doing my research on the various types before I seek out a therapist. I'm still really gun-shy when it comes to getting any more "treatment providers" involved in this TMS just yet. I spent soooo much money (without results) on it when I thought it was physical, that I'm almost terrified to risk that same thing happening with the psychological treatment.

My research so far has me leaning towards EMDR as chickenbone recommended above. Francine Shapiro wrote a wonderful book on the subject called Getting Past Your Past, which you might want to check out. There are a number of steps in that type of therapy that you can actually do on your own to get an idea of whether or not it might work for you.

4. chickenbone

Leslie, I just ordered Francine Shapiro's book. I also ordered 2 books by Gabor Mate. One is called
    "When the Body says No".

5. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm just starting it, Shabna-g, but I'd have to second Chickenbone's recommendation of Dr Alexander's new book because it seems to have so many practical therapeutic strategies for dealing with chronic pain, more than I've seen cataloged anywhere else in fact. The written exercises in Howard Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain workbook, which are roughly based on the ISTDP (Instantaneous Short-term Dynamic Psychotherapy) model, were quite effective for me too. But Dr Alexander's book is full of so much practical advice and strategies for dealing with chronic pain symptoms based on his 30 years of practice in the field. Also, as Chickenbone notes, it's very up-to-date with regard to the latest advances in neuroscience.

6. Shabda-girl

Shabda-girl Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'm going to take a look at the books:) I appreciate everyone's input.

7. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Please let me know what you think of Gabor Mate's books. I haven't gotten around to him in book form yet but I really enjoyed and benefited from the youtube videos I've seen of some of his seminars.

8. chickenbone

Sure, Leslie.