1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The Wisdom of Virginia Satir

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I would like all of us to live as fully as we can. The only time I
    really feel awful is when people have not lived a life that expressed
    themselves. They lived with all their "shoulds" and "oughts" and their
    blaming and placating and all the rest of it, and I think, "How sad."
    —Virginia Satir

Eric)- Do these shoulds and oughts sound like they could build internal conflict
    right under your nose that ultimately could lead to stress and tension?

Of course they do, this could be a part of the puzzle in helping you understand
    how to free yourself of internal conflict by going ahead and doing what you should or ought to do, huh

Anyone got any should or ought moments they'd like to express and get it off your chest?

I remember when I was wanting to be a public speaker.
    I used to always say to myself I should have just got up and done it after I was called on.
    As a younger man in my twenties I had lots of opportunities to get this conflict off my chest.

In the past and every time I passed it up I would feel some really severe back pain.
    One day I decided to do it out of the blue and after I finished my speech
    I felt like a ton of bricks had been lifted off from my back.
    It was so liberating that the back pain id been having sub-sided
    to almost non-existent for three years or more.

Eventually as time passed I wound right back up in another internal conflict
    of I should have done this or I ought to have done that.
    If I would have known then what I know now about tms healing
    I would have went forth and not held back knowing that
    I would have been much happier with just doing what I wanted to do
    instead of letting conflict hold me back which ultimately caused the body pain
    to come back strong in my mindbody.

Has any one got a story to tell that might liberate you in the future or that has liberated you in the past ?