1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The Vagus Nerve and Conditioned Fear

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by plum, Jul 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Further to my meanderings on the vagus nerve, I thought this article may spark some interest in the role the gut plays in fear and tms, and how acknowledging this may lead to either a reduction of or flat-out removal of fear-based conditioning in tms.

Here is said link:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201405/how-does-the-vagus-nerve-convey-gut-instincts-the-brain (How Does the Vagus Nerve Convey Gut Instincts to the Brain?)

Aside from the damn stupidity of cutting the vagus nerve bye bye fight-flight response (oh look. a grizzly bear. i feel no fear so maybe he's coming to cuddle me. what big teeth he has...).

Thoughts?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, plum. Thanks for posting this interesting article on the vagus nerve. I definitely agree that the gut can create fear.
    We just have to put that in the mental and emotional trash can.

I believe in living in the present, and did it work for me a few days ago! A new person and his wife came into my life and
    they are such wonderful, caring people who believe in helping others, even total strangers like I am to them, that it has lifted my spirits to new heights. I bet if we all thought of how much our family and friends care about us, we will have healthy stomachs and everything else.

plum likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you Walt. This is such a lovely reply and the joy in your spirit is palpable. I completely agree with your thoughts on love, care and health. We are blessed to be part of a community that truly looks after one another.