1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The researcher of expressive writing, James Pennebaker

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Aug 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

People have been talking a lot about Journaling recently, so I thought would share a little information about the pioneer of Journaling research, James "Jamie" Pennebaker.

In a groundbreaking 1986 article, Pennebaker and a coauthor asked college students to write about a traumatic event that they had experienced for 20 minutes a day for four consecutive days. They found that the students who had traumatic experiences and wrote about them went to the doctor over the next six months significantly less than a control group that didn't write about traumatic experiences. This tipped off a large body of scientific studies that have continued since that day.

You can read his advice for people who want to improve their health through writing on his University of Texas home page:
    http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/HomePage/Faculty/Pennebaker/Home2000/WritingandHealth.html

He also has a nice YouTube video describing expressive writing and his research:

2. tarala

tarala Well known member

Forest, what a great video! I had no idea there was so much evidence based research on journaling. I don't remember if this is in the SEP but it would be a really good place for it. Thanks for posting it. Cheers, Terry

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Great idea!

4. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, Forest, that is fabulous. Thank you for posting. And yes, I agreeā€¦I think it would be a perfect addition to the SEP, especially if one doesn't understand the value of journaling.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Thanks for that Forest. I found it very helpful and I agree it would add to the SEP.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Forest. A very interesting and useful video on journaling.