1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The recent Dr. Oz controversy

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Forest, Apr 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi folks,

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread about the recent controversy involving Dr. Oz. I've done some searching on it, and thought that I would offer some of what I thought were the best links that I found.

Unfortunately, this may turn out to be a rather partisan topic, and people are bound to have strong feelings. Some people may feel that Dr. Oz is a huckster and others may feel that he is a hero. In the US right now, I think we have an unconstructive political culture where people don't understand both sides of an argument, and I hope we can rise above that here. I feel that the truth in complex and that both sides have decent arguments, so I've tried to include a sampling of links from both sides of the issue. If other people have links that they would like to add, go for it.

For background, here is the New York Times article about the original letter:
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/04/16/us/ap-us-mehmet-oz-columbia.html

First, a article from Huffington Post entitled "Here Are 7 'Miracle' Products Dr. Oz Had Peddled:"
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/23/dr-oz-products_n_7120654.html

Time magazine gave Dr. Oz an article where he could reply to his critics in his own words:
    http://time.com/3831926/dr-oz-criticism-answers/

Several of medical faculty members from Columbia have also written an open letter to USA Today:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...a-faculty-medicine-broadcast-column/26261979/

To summarize, here is a supportive editorial from the New York Times Sunday Review, entitled, "Dr. Oz is no Wizard, but no Quack Either:"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/o...-wizard-but-no-quack-either.html?mabReward=A1
    And here is a critical editorial from the LA Times, entitled, "Dr. Oz fires back at his critics -- with misdirection and an absurd defense:"
    http://www.latimes.com/business/hil...fense-im-a-doctor-20150423-column.html#page=1

People may have strong feelings about this topic, so let me remind people of the forum rules in advance. Everyone is welcome to state their own opinions, but must respect other people's right to their own opinions. No personal attacks are allowed. Also, please avoid inflammatory language. Finally, no one has a right to have the last word, especially if doing so merely involves repeating arguments that readers of the thread would likely already be familiar with. Everyone reading the thread will draw their own conclusion, and there is nothing that anyone can do to change that. (That's part of what I love about forums.)

Anyway, what do people think?

Scott.Cameron and Lizzy like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest,
    Thanks for including all the links to articles on this topic. I don't have strong feelings about it. To me it just underscores the need for us, as consumers, to be wary of all claims being made for "miracle cures", whether from an MD or celebrity promoter. Most of us on the site have learned this lesson the hard way. It sounds like this controversy will make Dr. Oz be more careful of how he promotes products and approaches on his show, with more emphasis on the necessary disclaimers.

Lizzy likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I watch Dr. Oz now and then and have mixed feelings about the concepts for good health and the healing products he recommends.
    But on the whole, I think that even though he may be promoting a product for profit, a lot of it makes sense or does work.
    I also think that when he is on the Mindbody subject, doctors and pharmaceutical companies object, because they make their living treating pain or selling pain killers. Maybe doctors don't really want us to be pain-free. I wonder about cancer research. If we went to the Moon decades ago and are preparing to go to Mars, why hasn't a cure for cancer been found yet? Think of how many cancer researchers would be out of a job.

A neighbor said her doctor gave her a grocery bag full of pills she had been given from pharmaceutical salesman. I hope my neighbor tossed them all out.
    I would.

Dr. Oz has to come up with new ideas or products for every show. I used to write a weekly newspaper column, so I know how hard it can be to get ideas.
    I say if Dr. Oz says something works, do what my editor told me, and all reporters: "Check it out. If your mother says she loves you, check it out!" haha

4. kevinmichael

kevinmichael Peer Supporter

I believe Dr. Oz is sincere about helping people. However it is good to keep in mind that he is doing this in the entertainment world. He has pressures to crank out new material all the time. He certainly is open minded. He has praised Dr. Sarnos work.

mike2014 likes this.
  5. kevinmichael

kevinmichael Peer Supporter

I do have a problem with Dr. Phil however. He is definitely doing every thing he can to make staggering amounts of money. He comes off as arrogant. That tough love approach sure would not work on me.

6. Scott.Cameron

Scott.Cameron Peer Supporter

This man has probably entered with good intention but unfortunately its never long before the mind controlling media try to make a joke of it or corp ties make corruption of it… As far as I'm concerned 90% of all media news has got an agenda thats not in our interest.

There is a saying that goes something like "In all the best lies there is a little bit of truth" the sad thing is, in human nature, fear will make choosing the perceived less scary option every time.

[Admin note: off topic political reference removed. This is not the place to advocate for a political agenda.]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  7. Scott.Cameron

Scott.Cameron Peer Supporter

[Deleted by admin - If you have a problem with an administrative decision, take it up with the admin directly via personal message. Do not create drama on the forum. You have only been a member for 2 weeks and already have participated in a flame war and are now creating drama. It's time to cool your jets.]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  8. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

From reading the first post in this string, it certainly seem like Dr Oz promotes a lot of eat-me-take-a-pill "cures" to achieve weight loss without modifying caloric intake or doing more exercise. This certainly feeds into the American consumer mentality where you can have it all if you simply buy this or eat that. Last week I hiked up 2300 ft of trails in two days and only ate one banana and a Power Bar each day. When I came back from the moutains to the Bay Area and weighed myself, I noticed I had lost 5 pounds. No surprise there. I didn't take any raspberry supplements or cook my food with safflower oil. Sure does sound like Dr Oz is promoting a "victory without toil" sales pitch. But I don't think the supplements he promotes are doing much harm to the nation's health either. It was disheartening to say the least when I had breakfast in a restaurant in the Owens Valley and noticed that some retired couples sitting next to me were so obese that they couldn't get out of their chairs and walk to the parking lot. I don't know if Dr Oz is reaching that target group, however?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Forest likes this.