1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The Real You- Alan Watts

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by mstlymebutmstlyu, Apr 21, 2014.

1. mstlymebutmstlyu

mstlymebutmstlyu New Member

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

All a question of perspective.

mstlymebutmstlyu likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Pretty cool, I never heard it put that way before. Thanks

mstlymebutmstlyu likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

What happens in after-life:
    At last we know the secret of it all, if we believe this video.

This is a short but very intriguing video on one man’s theory on what happens to us after we die. Alan Watts says we go into a permanent sleep mode similar to that which we were in before we were born. Unfortunately, he doesn’t elaborate on this, very likely because he never experienced it, nor has anyone else. Pardon my levity.

Watts, a British-born philosopher, was a popular author and speaker on Eastern philosophy for Westerners in the 1960s-1970s in the San Francisco area who died in 1973 at the age of 58. His web site is at: http://alanwatts.com/

In the video, Watts says we should imagine what it would be like to go to sleep and never wake up. Then you will find that you go where you went before you were born. You become part of the whole universe only you will be someone else. He says it's yoga thinking. I think he's saying we experience reincarnation and come back as someone else, like Shirley MacLaine believes. Well and good, I say, so long as I don't come back as a politician or a serial killer. I want to work with animals, especially dogs. I wish Watts could e-mail us about how his after-life theory worked for him.

The video has an imbedded clip suggesting we take a look at Joel Silva's web site... Silva Mind Centering Control and Centering Exercise. I looked at it online and although it does not say anything about Alan Watts' after-life theory, I found it interesting. Silva's program, begun in 1967, is to awaken
    the mind’s natural healing ability. Silva believes that 90 percent of illnesses come from the mind and therefore, “to an extent,” can be reversed by the mind. Knowing about and healing from TMS, I think his percentage is on the conservative side.

It sounds a lot like Dr. Sarno and TMS, just another path to the same end.

Silva suggests there are three essential requirements for effective Mindbody healing:

1. Learn to function at the Alpha and Theta levels of the mind, which has the same effect as meditating. When someone meditates, scientifically, they are simply reducing their brain wave frequency to Alpha or Theta. In this state, people can put their mind and body in a state conducive to healing, where cells repair, stress dissipates, the immune system strengthens, and physical symptoms of illness are in some cases reduced. The Silva Method involves the “3 Fingers Technique,” of which more can be learned at his web sites.
    2. Learn to harness the power of Healing Imagery, also known as Visualization. To manage arthritis, visualize yourself already healed.
    3. Master the "D-B-E" Thought Process (Desire-Belief-Expectancy).
    This involves controlling your unconscious mind for three outcomes:

1. Develop a deep desire for your goal of being pain-free.
      2. Believe 100 percent that this goal is possible.
      3. Expect this goal to happen.
    The Silva Method trains one to access their unconscious mind and readjust their
    DBE thought process for better alignment with one’s natural healing abilities.

This is done through the Silva Method’s Positive Programming techniques.

You can learn more at http://www.silvamindbodyhealing.com/lp/healing-meditation?sr=1&cid=[SMBH-4]-Search-US-Broad-Brand&aid=Silva-Mind-Body-Healing.

Neil likes this.
  5. jessedas

jessedas Peer Supporter

Thanks for the info Walt!
    I've been listening to a bit of Alan Watts as of late, he is, if nothing more, poetic and fun to listen to in my opinion. The ideas expressed I do find fascinating, and as Aristotle pointed out "It is the mark of an educated man to entertain a thought without accepting it". Which, if I'm not mistaken, likens to one of Watt's own quotes "To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don't grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float. And the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging to belief, of holding on."

I have more recently been reading a book by Tony Schwartz called "Wisdom in America", which mentions Watts...biofeedback, alpha and theta state training, Sarno (as I'm sure some of you have noticed an article Tony wrote about him as well, linked here in the forums/wiki etc), Michael Murphy, Ken Wilber and many others. It's a great book if anyone's interested in a history and "one man's journey" through these things. I've one more chapter to read before the Sarno content of the book, but I'm really looking forward to hearing what he has to say. I think the very idea that using the subconscious, through Theta training, to heal pain, coincides with Sarno's concept that it's in the mind.

Neil likes this.