1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

the need to react to pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dree, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dree

dree New Member

wondering how people who are experiencing severe pain deal with the need to react and 'do something' about the pain.
    i am in constant search for something to help lower pain level. all day, trying to problem solve...

ive been following a mind body doctor Dr D'Eramo who has mentioned that we have to allow and feel the pain. im struggling with that because if i allow the pain i feel miserable and go into catastrophic thinking "this will never go away....etc"

has anybody learned a way to be more in control of your mind when experiencing severe pain?
    i do meditate and take time to breath which helps...

thanks

eskimoeskimo likes this.
  2. ladyofthelake

ladyofthelake Peer Supporter

That is exactly the question isn't it? PRACTICE. And fall down and practice again.
    Are you actually able to "not allow" the pain and it goes away? If so then wow keep doing that! But that isn't typically how TMS works, the more we fight it and are afraid of the pain the stronger and worse it becomes.
    It is HARD to actually accept and not fight or be afraid of the pain. I think each person is different in what works for them.
    Have you listened to the audio sessions with Alan Gordon in his recovery program? That was the most helpful guidance for me.

eskimoeskimo likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm taking sodium diclofenac 75mg (Voltaren) twice a day to help me stay in the game. A meta study recently cited in the Lancet recently found it to be the best NSAID.

4. Ines

Ines Well known member

Well.. I think that's the hardest part. I can only relate with my migraines. Not back pain or any severe pain like that. When I first started I went through that. I would feel it coming on and I would react by being disappointed with myself. I would feel like a failure and like I was not doing TMS correctly. I would think tomorrow I'm going to meditate and walk and rest.
    Anyway, after many months of practicing TMS, reading, journaling, soul searching and getting the best advice here I realized that reacting that way was making it 100% worse.
    When a migraine came on I would just say to myself Ok here it comes, then follow my protocol for pain meds, ice, darkness, etc. Anxiety would come, ok take my anxiety medicine. People on here told me to not judge the pain or yourself. Just let it flow and practice outcome independence. So that's what I did.
    Now I am trying to practice more self compassion and that is changing a lot for me as well too. Especially with stressful life situations.
    Anyway, I hope that helps.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Dree, and All,

I think this is a great discussion.

I like this:

And this:
    I recall having the familiar foot pain and saying to myself: "So what? You're a normal human being who has TMS." In saying this the pain went right away. There is a lot to be said about relaxing around symptoms, and not caring so much. There is also a lot to be said for summoning our outrage and expressing this to the symptoms, or gently re-assuring: "I am willing to feel more, you can stop the pain." It all works, and as Lady says, it is about tuning in and responding to where we are, which takes practice. Just the act of flexibility and attunement is a powerful practice or "antidote" for the TMS-prone personality!

Andy B

Ines and ladyofthelake like this.