1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The need to cure psychological issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rbmunkin, Apr 16, 2019.

1. rbmunkin

rbmunkin Peer Supporter

Hi,
    If I have insight into the psychological issues that bother me in life, don't I have to "cure" them, get over them, before the pain ceases? Otherwise if those issues are still there, why wouldn't the pain still exist to distract me from the issues?
    Psychological issues are not easily gotten beyond. Some of them seem impossible and will simply be there for life. Does that mean pain for life?
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Rick,

No, Dr. Sarno tells us that the process is easier than this. If you're bothered, then you're seeing, and by seeing (we're seeing more of the inner truth of our experience) and connecting that this is the cause of symptoms, then symptoms lose their power to distract.

It means when the pain comes up, we gently inquire into the psychological roots or stress roots of this, probably not even getting a perfect answer. But we're applying awareness and understanding, and confidence that the symptom is not dangerous. We're feeling a little more, perhaps than we used to. This feeling and understanding reduces the inner tension.

Using Dr. Sarno's theories while gently being in contact with ourselves is the method, rather than ever trying to fix anything. This method may lead to changes in the way you relate to yourself, or life changes too, but any changes will be from the insights of "being with," not "curing."

I hope this makes sense to you.

Andy B

andy64tms likes this.
  3. rbmunkin

rbmunkin Peer Supporter

Andy, thanks, and yes it makes sense. But it doesn't seem to be working. I honestly don't know what to DO about it. I inquire, I'm convinced it isn't physical, and the pain continues unabated.
    According to what I've read, with many symptom imperatives (which I have), one must have a lot of deep psychological issues. I feel I know them; I've been to psychotherapy in the past a great deal and my life has always been about understanding myself (I don't hide my head in the sand). But what if there are patterns that I have NO idea about? Since I have a lot of SI's, maybe there is something so horrible, so deep, that I don't remember it. Then what?

It's no wonder people would rather hope the doctor can give a pill or surgery to fix something. Overcoming TMS seems to be a very long term process and before you know it, you are dead anyway and your life has been spent in pain! Existential crisis or what, LOL!

Thanks,
    Rick

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Honestly, Rick, I would not worry too much about this. I would suggest that this is part of the "afraid of ____" and "I need to fix it" or "I may never fix it" thinking. While this fear and unskilled stance to your symptoms ---or to your self work, is natural, I kindly suggest you see this for what I think it is: charged, anxious thinking.

People with TMS either stay in the game, even if it takes awhile, or give up, and feel that it won't work. One of the ways your fear is manifesting is that the issue may be so deep that it can't be found. This is not true in my experience. Either the issues will become apparent, and relieve symptoms, with your connecting them to moment-to-moment experiences and TMS theory.

Or deeper issues may be less an issue than your relationship to symptoms. In this area of work, I highly recommend Alan Gordon's Pain Recovery Program because he really drills into how we respond to symptoms moment to moment.

This is a powerful place to know you are, and have achieved. I suggest you don't give up this aspect of your work: a gentle inquiry into history, personality, and response to daily events, and know that you can heal, one way or another.

Andy B