1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The Invisible Gorilla

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Enrique, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Hi,

I forget how much cool stuff is on the wiki. I like to go in every once in a while and just browse around. Funny how I used to browse the 'net for no good reason. Now I browse the wiki... presumably for good reason. Anyway, I found this neat entry by Dr Z about the invisible gorilla.

If have haven't see it before or it's been a long time check it out. Here's a link to the wiki page:
    The Invisible Gorilla
    There are some really good learning points by Dr Z after the video.

veronica73 likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a really good article, and the video really shows how much we can miss when our focus is consumed by one thing. Dr. Z has a great quote in the article where he writes:

"The function of physical pain in PPD/TMS is to dramatically and selectively grab your attention. In that, the purpose of pain in PPD/TMS is much like the purpose of the team passing the ball in the experiment. In PPD/TMS, physical pain draws your attention away from what the unconscious mind has determined to be a more threatening pain, namely the expression of your suppressed emotions (anxiety, anger and rage). These suppressed emotions are your “Invisible Gorilla”, if you will."

If you haven't read this article yet, I highly recommend it. It has some great info about how to break our focus on our symptoms and direct them to the underlying emotions.

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this video , guys you wouldn't believe me if I told you. Check it out for yourself