1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel L. The Effect of Fear & Anxiety (while pregnant!)

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I just found out that I am pregnant and quite upset because I am just working on my TMS symptoms. I do have fears on how my life will change and especially the hardships I will face due to this new chapter in my life. It's just that I have this thought that are those pregnancy symptoms- nausea, vomiting, fatigue, pre-eclampsia, edema etc are brought about by the same process as TMS? As these new mothers are quite pressured and it is taboo to think selfishly about themselves especially that they have a baby coming? I am just frustrated that I am having all these thoughts, feelings, worries, and stuff.

2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question. In mentioning your fears and these possible symptoms, it seems as though you might be scaring yourself, especially if you haven't been diagnosed with these conditions (preeclampsia, edema, etc.) by your physician. Fear thoughts can cause anxiety, and anxiety is a difficult thing to live with.

I’d encourage you to not only get confirmation from a doctor that what you’re experiencing is just a part of the pregnancy process, but also to be proactive about reducing your anxiety. Mindfulness meditation is a useful tool to help observe and reduce anxiety, but often times the act of just recognizing that you’re anxious can help to reduce it.

Secondly - you bring up a valuable point, and I think it’s important that everyone considering a TMS diagnosis think about what you’re asking. Flushing out the difference between physical manifestations of TMS and structural problems (or in your case – symptoms of pregnancy) is important. We recommend that everyone consult a TMS physician (if possible) to eliminate the prospect of any structural issues. There is a list of TMS physicians available to you here: http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

In your case, pregnancy can lead to a number of symptoms, and it’s important to consult an Obstetrician to verify whether or not the symptoms you’re experiencing are just a part of the pregnancy. Many of the issues you mentioned are common during pregnancy, and hopefully that knowledge will ease your fears.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to take care of yourself. It’s important for both your health and the health of the baby. It’s not selfish to take time for you – it’s what’s healthiest for everybody.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.