1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks forum!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Hawthorn, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Hawthorn

Hawthorn New Member

Just wanted to come on to this forum to say thanks to all - members, and therapists- for the help as sciatica and back pain are a lot better. I've had a relapse of an old back/sciatic problem (after 10 years or so pain free) for the past 18 months, and, while still not 100% I'm back to a normal life, mostly free of pain and walking further every day.

What helped me? Meditation, self-acceptance, being in nature, Alan's programme, the curable podcast, Sarno and the other Docs' writings, and the wonderful advice and positive attitude of members of this wiki forum. When I in was very bad pain and off work I did that 8 week Palouse mindfulness programme - a wonderful online resource- and have also used a lot of Tara Brach's meditations, talks and books.
    Gentle exercise and getting back to being involved in the world were useful as having a purpose in life helps change your relationship with pain. I also found that a good physiotherapist who understood chronic pain (I tried a few) helped me get moving.

Facing fear (Dr Schubiner, Thich Nyat Hanh) and developing a little 'outcome independence' to pain (as Alan suggests) were also useful. Also accepting and being kind to myself in circumstances where difficult emotions and situations arose.

The most difficult thing for me was (and is) distinguishing between when to keep going and when to stop - when the body is genuinely sending a message that means physical harm and when my mind is telling me to pay attention for another reason. Finding myself asking - is this just an excuse to get me off the hook for things I should be doing? Meditations on self acceptance - or allowing space for difficult emotions - and Sarno's very practical- if it gets too sore just stop, don't worry and try again tomorrow - helped me here.

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Such a wonderfully sane and gorgeous post. I love it!

Many people struggle with the balance between bodily needs and the minds greeds but I think we get better and better at discernment.

I'm delighted that you have recovered and that you left such simple and clear coordinates for those who follow.

I bloody love success stories :)

JanAtheCPA, Ellen and Gigalos like this.
  3. Hawthorn

Hawthorn New Member

Thanks Plum!