1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks for your replies

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Bawbee, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Bawbee

Bawbee Peer Supporter

Thanks for the very edifying answers MorComm and Forest.....that amygdala has a lot to answer for!
    Theres so much to read and learn... Especially when I have brain fog and pain.

I ordered Dr Schubiners book and listen to Dr Sarno's audiobooks on my ipad when Im in bed.....Although on a bad day Louise Hay's definition of fibromyalgia......'fear showing up as extreme tension due to stress' does me fine and I try to float through with acceptance.

I've had back and neck pain for forty years....used both alcohol and food to keep that drapdoor to the unconscious down but havent used either for 20 years. In the lasy 5 years Ive injured my coccyx twice...and 'fibromyalgia' has been the label suggested by the docs. Ive also developed extreme fatigue and am mostly housebound....have always known about tms...really own it now...now or never!

Now, whilst Im trying to be a 'good girl' and work this thread thing perfectly I dont really get it.....I seem to run out of space...round about now....Can anbody help? Thanks again

2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Bawbee - welcome to the forum:

Dr. Shubiner's book is excellent and will start you on your way to healing. It's intense. But to get to the core of all your issues, you have to dig deep. The only thing I would add to your list is a to start a journal. Or better yet, try the Structured Program on the wiki. You'll get into the daily habit of writing your thoughts down, and doing "free writes" where you simply begin to write without really thinking about it. You'll learn amazing things about why you are where you are.

Best of luck to you, and keep posting here.

BG

3. Bawbee

Bawbee Peer Supporter

4. Bawbee

Bawbee Peer Supporter

Thanks beachgirl.....Ive started on Dr schechters workbook....Ive always had the materials but it never felt that was really what was wrong.....the return to regular exercise part was the bit I couldnt take.....Ive had low stamina and an anxious, fearful way of doing my life for as long as I can remember, but it never appeared that way on the surface....an exhausting way to live!.... had to retire early from my teaching job...used to wear tens machine and ice packs in classroom...kids got used to it! I went home to bed most days....but always managed to swim which kept me going...then arm went weak and chiro gave me the 'pinched nerve' routine and ive never got back to swimming. Im in Scotland, and quickly left the National health docs when all they could offer was injections and meds....and over the years went to round about 60 different complementary therapists......when I think back the ones who probably helped most were the ones who asked uncomfortable questions although I only wanted body work.....they were doubtless the best therapists...truly holistic.
    Im so glad this forum is here and there are folk to light the way. Thank you

5. Beach-Girl

Well then I suggest this is where you start. In a private journal or if you feel more comfortable with a therapist. It has amazed me how after three months now, I start each morning by "free writing" and discovered how angry I've been. I don't show it outwardly and generally have a good attitude as I know negativity is dangerous to my health.

But writing it all out has been a real eye opener. I have learned a lot and before the book arrives, I'll say again, you might want to start with the Structured Program on the wiki. It's a really positive and great way to open up into this process.

You'll hopefully be back in the pool soon. I love swimming too!

6. Beach-Girl

Again, I highly recommend the Structured Educational Program on the wiki itself. It's a nice segue into this work. At least I thought so. There is a lot of "homework" in "Unlearn Your Pain". And the program on the wiki is a nice intro into writing in a journal and learning to free write. Check it out here.

BG

7. Bawbee

Bawbee Peer Supporter

I'll take your advice.....I think free writing will help things to flow...... The workbook is kinda constricting and the SED looks like its not too much every day.....I have a fear of neck and arm pain through writing...but will just be kind to myself and do what I can.....so it doesnt become a fearful thing.
    BB

8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

One of the reasons I think so many people recommend and do journaling is because it does really help emotions and feelings to flow out. We are so used to repressing our emotions that if we need to do something quick to get to the heart of things. I have always thought that both free write and spider write require such quick constant writing that we almost trick our unconsicous mind from repressing our emotions. Things just simply flow out.

Bawbee - how's the program going for you? Anything you like about it?

Best,

Forest