1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Thankfullness

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Gigi, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

OK, November is nearly here, so I'm thinking about my list of "gratefuls." In the middle school where I work, I put up a Gratitude Board (simply a large white board) during November, and students and staff fill it many times throughout the month. Sometimes we get doodles, but often it's just a list of simple things.
    So I thought we could start one here!
    Today I'm incredibly grateful for this wiki, and the role it played in my recovery. A year ago I was in a wheelchair. Today I'm back to full activity, including hiking. Hooray for mobility!

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

WOW, Gigi! Do you have your success story around here somewhere? I'd love to read it. And I too am back to hiking after being waylaid by TMS shinsplints for many years. It's so wonderful to be getting back into life!
    I love that you're modeling gratitude to the kids too.
    And I too am grateful for this wiki and all the great resources on it.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Gig, you're a wonder! From wheelchair to work and hiking. Wow!

About kids in school. It reminded me of a good friend whose wife had a stroke that left her almost entirely
    paralyzed and unable to speak. They had three young daughters and a son. The boy was about ten and
    used to show us pictures he drew and stories he wrote. They were terrifying. One was about a boy who
    was on a train on which a wild animal ran amok. I thought it implied he had emotional distress, but his
    father, a great friend but a stoic, paid no attention to it. The boy was having TMS symptoms, probably
    from abandonment.

I wonder if parents or teachers could learn about the emotional health of their children by asking them to
    write stories and draw pictures of their dreams, nightmares, or anything that comes to mind.

Do teachers do this in school? It might be sneaked into art or literature classes. It would help if the teacher or parent knew
    about TMS.