1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tension Myoneural Syndrome

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Nyoibo, Nov 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Nyoibo

Nyoibo New Member

I saw an interview with Dr. Sarno talking about how, at a certain point in his writings, he was now calling it Tension Myoneural Syndrome. I can find almost no information on this other naming/definition of the disease where it is considered a synonym. I can only infer that he wanted to change from 'sitis' to 'neural' to reinforce the fact it is pain caused by the nervous system.

I'm no medical professional so excuse any ignorance or if I am assuming too much but I found this idea sort of fascinating. Has the community decided to drop 'neural' in favor of keeping the 'sitis'? Thanks in advance.

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno actually first coined the term Tension Myositis Syndrome which implied muscular pain (back spasms for ex). He then changed it to neural because he realized that many chronic pain issues included nerve pain or neuropathic sensations as well.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

There are so many different names for the phenomenon that is the discussion of this forum that it makes my head spin. Different countries have different names as well. The latest one I've come across is Neural Pathway Disorder. It's all the same thing. I think because it's a relatively newly recognized condition there is no consensus on what to call it, and I think it creates confusion that makes it harder to spread the word.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I always cringe when I see words like "syndrome" or "disorder" or "disease" (this one is the worst lol) because it implies some kind of actual pathology or abnormality, when in actuality TMS (or MBS or stress induced pain ) just means you are human and your anxiety is getting expressed through the body. I think "learned pain" may be the most accurate term, because it's a habit of the way the brain and body interact.

Ellen likes this.