1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TAPPING REFRESHER COURSE

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Sep 29, 2013.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I felt anxious and jumpy today. I spent a few minutes tapping, telling myself to relax and let the anxiety go. It went away in three tries.
    I also had some lower back pain today, tapped telling it to go away, and after just a few tries, it went away.

I did some deep breathing after doing both tappings and it relaxed me. Deep breathing is a wonderful thing. Most books and web sites about meditation and relaxation say it’s essential.

Commercials on television for pills to help you with back and other pain, to lose weight, stop smoking, get to sleep or just relax, say side affects may cause anxiety, heart attacks, strokes, shortness of breath, hair loss, blindness, even death. And they want you to pay them for all that. I think it’s better to try tapping.

Tapping, another psychological tool for healing both physically and emotionally, has been known for centuries but has had a rebirth of popularity in recent years thanks to Robert G. Smith, Karl Dawson, and others. I’ll go into it deeper in a bit, but basically, it is a series of finger tappings on parts of the body that relate to meridian points in acupuncture. Tapping and telling yourself to let go of a bad emotion, or to tap into a positive thought or emotion, releases stress and trauma from the body’s energy system, allowing the body to return to a healthy physical and emotional state.

Tapping involves the ancient Chinese meridians of acupuncture together with affirmations. Affirmations are positive thoughts or words you tell yourself such as:

I feel calm and relaxed
    I have no pain
    I’m healthy
    I am strong and healthy.
    I’m at peace with myself and everyone
    I forgive myself and everyone
    Every day, in every way, I’m getting better and better.
    I’m not worried about anything.
    My mind is at peace.

You can watch free videos on how to tap and what to say while tapping if you go online to the YouTube web sites of Robert Smith. It’s free and from the tapes you’ll see, it has worked for thousands of people.

When and where do you tap and with what do you tap?

1. Think of a pain or repressed emotion such as a bad childhood memory or financial worries, something that causes anxiety, anger, fear, or any other negative feeling. Imagine that feeling on a scale of from 1 to 10, the higher the better.
    2. Begin tapping over your eye five to seven times with your index finger and the finger next to it while saying out loud (not silently) some positive affirmations such as “Even though I feel this pain, I deeply and completely accept myself. I release and let it go. It’s okay to let it go. All sadness, fears, all emotional trauma, stress, anxiety.”
    3. Tap at the side of the eye, and repeat step 3.
    4. Tap below the eye, and repeat step 3.
    5. Tap on the collar bone (where a necklace is worn), and repeat step 3.
    6. Squeeze a wrist, then repeat step 3
    7. Take a deep breath, let it out, and say “Peace.”

Smith also suggests imagining a tree and you’re pulling it out by the roots. The tree represents the bad emotion in you and when you pull up its
    roots the tree does and so does the bad emotion – it goes away.

Feel the emotion, tap it, release it, let it go. Keep tapping until the pain or memory of a bad emotion is gone. Go back and imagine the scale of your anxiety, anger, fear or other negative emotion and see if it has gone down from 10.

If it has gone down but is not totally gone, repeat the tapping and affirmations until it is. This could take minutes or longer. If the bad feeling or pain goes away but comes back later, tap again.

Tapping tells the unconscious mind you are ridding yourself of the pain or bad emotion. It is another way to practice TMS but physically tapping helps many people to be pain free faster.

If you tap about the pain or other stress, the relief you feel may not be permanent. To be rid of the pain completely you must address the root cause of the pain or other problem. That involves the TMS approach to healing… discovering the repressed emotion and thinking of that as you tap each acupuncture meridian.

As I’ve said, there are several Internet sites on how tapping is done. My favorite is Robert G. Smith’s web site and viewing his free YouTube videos. He demonstrates how he taps volunteers with pain or other problems and many of them find relief within fifteen minutes.

Each meridian point is associated with a different part of the body.
    Tapping on the forehead over the eye stimulates the acupuncture meridian related to the bladder.
    Tapping to the outside of the eye is related to the gall bladder.
    Tapping under the eye is related to the stomach.
    Tapping the collar bone is related to the kidney.
    Squeezing the wrist is related to the lungs and large and small intestines, heart and circulation.

Smith says lower back pain represents problems related to money and emotional support in life. Both of those go back to my boyhood which I’ve told you about earlier. And every time the postman delivers another bill, it is a trigger to remembering the financial problems.

If tapping doesn’t rid you of the pain or bad emotion, you may not be focusing on a specific issue. If you tell your unconscious mind to relieve you of stress or anxiety, it may not know what the specific cause is. Be as specific as possible, tapping away one problem at a time.

Smith’s new approach to tapping, called Faster EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) is offered as a free seven-day program on his web site, and I’ve found it to be very helpful, as many others have. It has you tell your unconscious mind you recall a happy time in your life, such as lying on a sunny beach or holding a baby or puppy in your arms. I’ve used the affirmations “I’m happy!” “I had lots of happy times in my boyhood and later life.” Then I laugh. Laughter can heal a lot of pain.

Smith doesn’t tap the "valley point" on the hand, but I like that, too, for relaxation. Using the thumb and index finger of one hand to massage the soft fleshy place between the thumb and index finger of the other hand. It is a yoga technique for relief from headaches or any stress in the head.

Smith also suggests keeping a “Happy Journal,” writing down all the things that make them happy now or did in the past. “ Some people have trouble allowing themselves to believe that just by keeping track of positive memories and thoughts that it will help change their life. However, what you hold and affirm to be true in your life will be true for you. So, we have to make sure we are keeping and remembering the good stuff.”

Tala and North Star like this.
  2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Walt! This is very helpful.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Glad you feel that tapping can help us heal. It's tied in with TMS philosophy and
    offers another avenue toward healing.

Robert G. Smith is a very convincing guide to tapping in his YouTube videos.
    He comes across as a trusted friend and his encouragement is catching.

4. myg

myg New Member

Thanks for that introduction... you made it very easy to understand. I have a couple of issues that I'd like to try tapping with. I personally prefer therapies with scientific trials demonstrating their effectiveness, but at absolute least, this can't hurt. In fact, I think that the benign and mild attention to the issue can only help.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is the thread for tapping Walt, we need this
    its awesome with all the how tos. Thanks for your time
    putting it together. I tap almost every day but im still
    going to use this directional sheet as my motivational guideline
    Thanks Pal.