1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

talking to subconscious

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Dec 3, 2012.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm slowly getting out of back pain through two months of Sarno and Brady and
    Structured, but have a question about talking to my subconscious.

The last few nights I wake up with mild lower back pain, just enough to keep me awake,
    so I tell my subconscious it's from repressed emotions, but it doesn't go away as it does
    when I'm awake during the day or evening. But if I turn on my back and talk to my subconscious the pain goes away. It wakes me up again later and we go through the same thing.

Is it okay for me to turn on my back to have the pain go away.? Or am I conditioning
    my subconscious to only listen to me that way? If so, I can try just toughening it out and
    not turn on my back and talk to my subcon until it obeys me.

Jilly likes this.
  2. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Hi Walt,

I very new to TMS but, since you are able to lay on your back in the first place without pain, is a MAJOR breakthrough ! I think you have the upper hand here and your subconscious listens to everything you say. One of the SEP recordings of Dr. Schubiner discusses the huge amount of data the subconscious mind absorbs as compared to the conscious mind.

I think, maybe treat this back pain that comes on after you fall asleep as a child that keeps getting up and out of his bed multiple times per night. The child finds many excuses to get into his parents bed. The parents need to train the small child that it's safe to be in the bed by himself and that eventually he will love his own quiet time at night.

Self talk to your subconscious and say something like ... " O.K. I know you might not be happy with the new arrangements and it is uncomfortable for you now, but you will get used to it, I promise you. You need to trust me, I know what I'm doing. We both can get a good nights sleep. You've protected me for such a long time and I thank you for that, now trust me and go to bed. It's time to rest and sleep." Just like a small child you might need to be a little firm, but with love and reassurance.

Keep us posted ~ Jilly :p

deborah a burns likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks, Jilly. I like the idea of the active child, and will take the TMS pain relief any way I can get it.
    Sleeping on my side or my back.
    I think my mind was just overactive last night. I always sleep better if I slow down my mind an hour or more
    before bedtime.

Jilly likes this.
  4. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

I think it's good to sleep in any position you want, your subconscious is learning you are the boss and your'e easing into sleep positions of your choice. You are training your subconscious not the other way around.:p Don't fear your subconscious, be the strong, loving parent to your subconscious. I've tried that approach and it is working for me.

Also I have been thinking of the subconscious as a room mate for life, the (2) of us in one body. Just like the good and evil, one sitting on each shoulder giving their input !

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Okay, I'll think of my subconscious as my roommate and ask it to help me with the monthly mortgage and utility bills.

Jilly likes this.
  6. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

:D hahahaaha ! Lets see if he kicks in his share, he's been having a free ride !

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'll ask him tonight. If he isn't asleep.

Jilly likes this.
  8. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

HAH ! Good one ! LOL ! :D

9. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Better yet, WAKE HIM UP ! And chant Sarno's affirmations to him ! LOL !

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I should do that. If I chant them softly, he might let me go.

Jilly likes this.
  11. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Awwww Walt, bless your heart ... sleep deeply & peacefully tonight. Many sweet dreams * hugs

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I like to listen to soothing music about an hour before bedtime.
    I have a CD of ocean waves I like.

You have a painless and peaceful sleep too.

Jilly likes this.