1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Symptoms brought on or intensified by a cold/infection?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ARWR, Dec 13, 2022.

1. ARWR

ARWR New Member

Just wondering if this is something that any of you guys have experienced?

It seems I picked up a mild cold on the weekend and since then a few symptoms that had been gradually improving (deep fatigue, brain fog and back pain/stiffness) have kicked up quite intensely. Much more intensely than the level of the cold symptoms, which are barely noticeable. I’ve been sleeping for 12 plus hours and in much more pain than usual.

Just wondered if this is something that others have also run into, and if so, what helped you manage?

Thanks!

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I have experienced this and I think it is due to conditioning. Your mind has associated the symptoms of a cold and TMS, though there is no logic to that association. Use your rational mind to overcome the irrational association by repeatedly telling yourself either out loud or silently that a cold doesn't cause the other symptoms.

Of course if you actually have the flu and not a cold, then the association may be accurate.

JanAtheCPA and ARWR like this.
  3. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

David Butler and Lorimer Moseley in their book Explain Pain (second edition) describe how the immune system modulates the nervous system (which includes the brain) through messenger molecules called cytokines. These cytokines float throughout your body and perform various functions that help you survive, one of which is to provide a mobile protective system that fights infection. Butler and Moseley say:

"Some cytokines promote inflammation and some try to stop it. It is good to have them in balance. When you have the flu [or another viral, bacterial or other infection], there will be more of the pro-inflammatory cytokines around. If you remember your last flu attack, you may recall that as well as fever and lethargy, loss of appetite, etc, your movements were more sensitive and occasionally old pains may have come back to visit. This is due in part to an increase in the pro-inflammatory cytokines.”
    It seems to me, ARWR, that your current symptom situation is a result of your immune system automatically ramping up your pro-inflammatory cytokines to fight your cold virus (or whatever the infection is). Don’t worry about it. Once you beat the cold, your mix of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines will go back to your normal set point.

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

@Duggit explained it all perfectly. In addition, serious viral infections are known to have a lasting impact on nervous system in some cases, long covid being the latest and the best known. Common cold is not likely to hit you that bad, as our immune systems are well adjusted to common cold virus.

ARWR likes this.