1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Symptom Imperative?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tshepherd121, Jul 31, 2020.

1. tshepherd121

tshepherd121 New Member

Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed with Pudendal Neuralgia with left sided nerve pain (burning). Recently the pain has pretty much gone away / been very turned down. In it's place, frequent urination and the constant urge to urinate has come up.

The urination symptoms occurred as I started working out again and challenging the pain. Is this a case of symptom imperative? I don't know if it is normal for nerve symptoms to just 'turn off' and go to a different part of the body... it doesn't even burn when I pee anymore.

Also, the frequent urination is way more triggering to my anxiety, sleep and mental health than the pain ever was. Is this something I push past and keep challenging with exercise, or do I dial things back?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi tsheperd121,

Congrats on seeing this as "symptom imperative." A very important realization!

Yes things can switch just that fast.

You can simply use your awareness, continue with the activities you want to do, and proceed knowing you're safe.

Also, recommend doing more in-depth work inquiring into your personality, stress, childhood etc. as per Structured Education Program, free at the Wiki. Most folks benefit from the "psychological education" in addition to the way you're dealing directly with the conditioning and fears around symptoms. Symptoms jumping around often indicate benefit of deeper work.

Andy