1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

symptom imperative question

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Cara, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Cara

Cara Peer Supporter

Hi all,

After healing from back pain (still feels like a miracle) and cautiously returning to running, I've had some tendonitis-like injuries: plantar fasciitis in the fall, and now posterior tibialis tendonitis--both diagnosed and treated by a really great sports chiropractor who really just wanted to get me back to healthy and not rope me into the repetitive visit thing. He encouraged me to do some gentle running as I was healing from this last round and assured me I wasn't doing any permanent damage (which the internet--I know I shouldn't have looked--told me I was.) Anyway, to cut to the heart of my question, on Friday he told me I was good to go. As far as he was concerned, I'm healed and doing the exercises he showed me is just good for staying in shape and being an athlete. On Friday, I ran only a teeny bit more than I had been running, and my OTHER ankle got the exact same symptoms my first ankle had just healed from. An overuse injury seems unlikely in this scenario, doesn't it? So I got suspicious. Symptom imperative? How on earth can one tell with something as nebulous as tendonitis? There aren't tests that are reasonable. There isn't any visible swelling. How can we tell a symptom imperative or TMS-caused injury from one that's real and should send us back to the doctor?

This is legitimately confusing, isn't it?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Helenlouise likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like the symptom imperative to me, but I've been doing this a long time, and it doesn't take me long these days to get there.

Do a keyword search (choosing the "our forum" results tab) to find Success Stories that talk about your particular concerns. That should convince you :D

Helenlouise and birdsetfree like this.
  3. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Pain that moves to the opposite side is a sign of TMS. There is no swelling, so no inflammation. This definitely sounds like a symptom imperative to me too.

4. Cara

Cara Peer Supporter

Thanks, JanAtheCPA and birdsetfree! Your voices were a very helpful addition to Dr. Sarno. I went back to Healing Back Pain, and in chapter one he claims most tendon issues in the limbs, including the knees and ankles is probably TMS. Not to mention the fact that it switched sides! I felt confident enough to go out for a run and see what happened, and nothing happened except I got to spend some quality time outside. Back to journaling and reading Dr. Sarno for me! I am very grateful for this forum and the wise people on it who keep us steady!