1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Symptom imperative at it again....

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jules, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Jules

Jules Well known member

Okay, I've done fairly well the last number of months with getting rid of TOS and myofascial pain, however, since being in therapy and having some intense sessions, the symptom imperative has reared its ugly head - this time with migraines and hiatal hernia flares. Grrrr...:mad: I usually don't get them, or if I do, they are mild, but the ones lately have been full-blown and keeps me nauseated for hours.

I know the hiatal hernia pressure is due to stress, because TMS loves to hit this area, because I will be doing nothing differen't than the usual stuff and then BAM! There will be tightness and a constant need to burp, with nausea, as well. The migraines can be due to crying with nearly every therapy session, trying to distract me, since these sessions have been very difficult.

Do any of you have a hernia or migraines and TMS uses those areas to induce pain and/or acid indigestion? I'm doing daily mantras, journaling like crazy, and thinking psychological, but when the pain hits, I can't concentrate. :confused: Any ideas, suggestions, advice?

Oh, and the pain is worse in the early morning, but by night, is gone. Weird.

2. justmike

justmike Peer Supporter

I have a hiatal hernia. My father also had one. My ex-wife; her grandfather had one. They're actually fairly ubiquitous.

I have a few of the same symptoms as you, including the burping. I don't really have nausea, but I have pain in my chest that feels like heartburn.

I had an upper GI scope a few years ago that showed the hernia and signs of mild gastritis. I was on a PPI for awhile and it didn't really help.

I've read in a lot of places that a hiatal hernia will usually (maybe never) cause pain or other symptoms. Most of the symptoms that are usually felt by people with a hiatal hernia are also listed as symptoms of anxiety, including the burping. And of course anxiety is a TMS equivalent.

You seem to have the same thing going on as me (and others here); when you talk to your therapist, you open the door to the emotions that your mind has worked very hard to bury. As a result, your mind ramps up your symptoms to distract you from your feelings.

3. Jules

Jules Well known member

Yep. I had been doing really well with the hiatal hernia and headaches, but then the "RSI" and myofascial pain flared. It seems like it goes back and forth and each one is at least moderate pain.

You hit on a really good point about anxiety and gut issues. I've been kind of stressed with coming off Lyrica with concerns about withdrawal and hyperarousal/sensitivity as well as the emotional stuff in therapy. It makes sense, the ANS is a little overwhelmed at the moment.

Thanks!