1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

SURGERY: THE ULTIMATE PLACEBO

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mtngal, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Mtngal

Mtngal Well known member

Hi all,

I just wanted to share something that hopefully will make people feel better and also points out the tremendous placebo effect that back surgery can have (sometimes). I work in the medical field, so I'm surrounded by "structuralists". Anyway, one coworker recently had back surgery (discectomy and fusion) after 7 years of sciatica and lower right sided back pain. She came back 6 weeks after surgery pain free, working full-time on her feet etc. A couple weeks ago she went to the surgeon for her post-op followup appt. Guess what.. XRays showed that the FUSION DID NOT TAKE... and he gave her an electrical device to wear that stimulates bone growth in the hopes of cementing the fusion and the level below it. But GUESS WHAT! - in spite of this knowledege, she still HAS NO PAIN.. so for all intents and purposes, the surgery was a failure, but the patient is cured! I have to say, that she is a wonderful gal, but her personality is such that she 1)would never believe Sarno if I told her and 2) she is not the type to obsess, analyze or worry about things.. so she hasn't processed this information as "oh my gosh, it didn't fuse, now what, is it moving around, etc. etc. and guess what that type of thinking would cause - of course, PAIN!

Another strange thing is that another gal, who is the complete opposite in personality also had back surgery after a fall 1.5 years ago on the ice. She has since had two back surgeries and is still in pain, not back to work and getting PT for "scar tissue" now.. I mentioned Sarno to her, but she never replied back.

Just thought I'd share..

Forest and Cherylie like this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a good Story Mtngal
    Although placebos often will not hold for years
    in some instances that I've learned of , the placebo did help folks stay pain free-
    for an extended amount of years, I think those people are still healed.

The thing I saw about your friend that had the good placebo effect was her traits
    She doesn't obsess so she's got the body focus beat.
    She doesn't worry so that's the anxiety beat mostly there-
    and she doesn't over analyze things- Wow.

She's already doing all the appropriate tasks to effect a cure.
    Good Stuff, thanks for sharing. I can tell your really picking up too.
    Awesome- Bless you.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. Mtgal. Herbie's right. You gave us a good story about operations and placebos.

You did all you could to lead a coworker to Dr. Sarno and TMS, but she just didn't want
    to drink at his well. I hope she continues to feel okay from the placebo effect, but if the pain comes back,
    she may remember you told her about it.
    Stay well yourself.

4. Mtngal

Mtngal Well known member

Thank you guys, your observations are right on. I'm still fighting the battle, some days better than others, but hopefully going in the right direction. Everyone here helps and we are so lucky to have this forum to support one another!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

You are so right on Mtngal, I remember the ones that led me to the path of victory and can I tell you- it was a sweet day at the creek bank. I felt so alive to have friends and direction- they were making sure I wasn't going to wade to deep in the muddy waters ya know. Always leading me to a clear spring to drink from. Its so important to get the right direction and leads and to know your actually being led by others that have walked those rocks that you have. Now we can teach each other to by pass those rocks and float to victory. Thank you so much Mtngal. The friendship I believe for me was as important as the task I had to do ya know- relationship.
    Bless you

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Mtngal, your co-worker's experience that the surgery wasn't really necessary is further evidence of that.
    That's all some doctors can recommend. Thank heaven we know about TMS.

As Herbie says, keep at it. He knows the many paths on the road to recovery.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.