1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Zafirides Surgery May Not Be Effective For Spinal Fractures

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Peter Zafirides, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Peter Zafirides

Peter Zafirides Physician

Hi Everyone,

I know this isn't news to us here, but I thought you'd be interested in a study that validates what we already know:

http://www.thehealthymind.com/2013/07/14/surgery-may-not-be-effective-for-spinal-fractures/

According to Dr. Brendan McCullough, the study’s lead author, "I can’t say there is no effect in patients who swear by their procedure, but in looking at objective measures we can’t say it’s effective."

Never doubt your strength.

You absolutely have the power to transcend your pain.

Kindly,
    Dr. Z

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It is amazing to me that in one of the most advanced societies in the world, we still routinely cut people open to do procedures that cannot be shown to have any medical benefit.

What a tragedy.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

3. Peter Zafirides

Peter Zafirides Physician

It is sad, Forest. But that's why this community is so important. We must, in our own individual way, share our knowledge and our experience with others. We must try to be disruptive. By this, I mean we must do all we can to stop this entrenched reflex of:

PAIN ------> ITS PHYSICAL.

Victor Frankl once said, "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is the power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom."

We must be disruptive so that we create that "space", if you will, that allows us to consider the psychological, the emotional, the mind-body basis for pain AS QUICKLY as we regard its anatomic or physiological explanations. We can change it to:

PAIN -----> HOW MUCH IS REALLY PHYSICAL?

We must set brush fires of doubt in people. Set them everywhere. Your friends, your family, your doctors, your colleagues, everyone...tell them about the inconsistencies of current dogma in chronic pain. It's there. Make sure they are aware of it. That's all we really have to do.

Infect them with the seeds of doubt but don't waste your time worrying if you have made a sufficient impact. The words are more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Set brush fires, set brush fires, set brush fires.

In the same way that once we know how a magic trick is done, we can never be captivated by that moment again, we can change the current dogma on chronic pain. Look at what one man - John Sarno - was able to do...

-Dr. Z