1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Success Story: Overcoming Two Decades of Chronic Pain

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by sosparkly, May 17, 2015.

1. sosparkly

sosparkly New Member

Hello All,
    I'm so pleased to share my healing story with you. I was so excited about my recovery that I wrote a book about it.
    After two decades of debilitating chronic low-back pain, which ranged from being simply an annoying pain to incidents of paralyzing back spasms, which left me completely incapable of sitting or standing. The pain was powerful and at times so extreme that I was sure that I had been forever damaged. This pain was nearly unbearable, but there were so many other maladies that came and went during those many years, such as tightened calf muscles, plantar fasciitis, hip pain, knee pain, ankle pain, and sciatica.

At the end of 2013 I discovered Dr. Sarno and his amazing TMS discovery. I knew immediately that this was my problem. I read all of Dr. Sarno's books, and I found them helpful, and they were key to understanding the issues, but I did not understand how to to fix it. Once I understood the mechanics of the issue, I used that as the basis to develop my own method for healing. Breaking the tension, and managing stress and negative emotions. It was all quite miraculous. My back pain of 20 years was gone in about two weeks, and the knee pain that plagued me for years was gone in a little more than a month.

More than a year later I am pain-free, and could not be happier. All the best to you in your healing!

Kind regards,

Sherri Obermark
    Back Story: Breaking the Cycle of Chronic Pain
    http://www.sherriobermark.com/
    Amazon:
    http://amzn.to/1EpjGTG
    Website & Blog
    http://www.sherriobermark.com/
    Twitter
    #endchronicpain

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Sosparky, thanks for your success story. It will inspire everyone.

TMS can go away, then come back.

I've had a horrible day on the computer today and I'll tell you, a lot of my anger comes from
    being on the computer. When it works, it's great. But there are so many frustrations from web sites and
    passwords. I work two jobs on the computer and am 84 years old. I have to live with computers
    but hope the day finally comes when I just have to use it for email.

I relaxed by deep breathing and laughing.

Kathleen likes this.
  3. sosparkly

sosparkly New Member

Thanks for your comments Walt!

Computers and passwords can be quite frustrating, I agree.

Yes, if we have experienced TMS, we are prone to it again in the future, absolutely. The answer is to have strategies for dealing with our tension, and managing our negative emotions. When we have those things in our arsenal, we have all we need to overcome TMS in the future.

I occasionally feel that tightening in my lower back muscles, but use the tools I've developed to dissipate it. I now feel I will never end up with crippling back spasms again, and that is comforting to know.

Sherri

4. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

What are the tool you've developed may I ask
    Kathleen

5. sosparkly

sosparkly New Member

Hi Kathleen,

The tools center around breaking the tension at the site, and then using a series techniques to get to the root of the stress and negative emotions that contract the muscles. Finding a way to de-prioritize them in our minds, so that they no longer cause the tension, or at least to a lesser degree.

WebMD says on their site that back pain is a symptom of a medical condition, not a diagnosis itself, and I think they are right about that. If we are just addressing the pain, we will eventually have pain again.

That being said, if people have back pain, they should be seen by a Healthcare Professional to rule out a serious organic issue, such as cancer or infection. In my opinion, so much of the pain that people experience is tension-based.

My belief is that most people can overcome tension-based pain themselves, but everyone is different, and may need further interventions from professional to relieve their tension and stress/negative emotional issues.

If you are suffering, I wish you all the best, and hope for relief for you soon.

Regards,

Sherri