1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Struggling but pushing through

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Lana C, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Lana C

Lana C Newcomer

Hi everyone

I'm currently a week into this wonderful program. I'm so grateful for this resource. I had a terrible accident in June 2020 and have been struggling quite a bit with my recovery. I have nerve damage in my left forearm and hand, which makes daily tasks very difficult. However, since the accident, I've had many other symptoms pop up - TMJ, tinnitus, shoulder pain on my other side, knee issues and most recently tension dysphonia in my throat, which has been very distressing as I'm a voice actor.

Since stumbling across Dr. Sarno and this website, I've reduced my tension in my throat by quite a bit. I've been able to record pain free and have been reminding myself to check in on how I'm feeling. The nerve pain is quite substantial but I'm sure my own anxiety has made it worse and I'm focusing on trying to use that limb more instead of protecting & guarding it.

I'm looking forward to continuing my journey.

ssxl4000 likes this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

It sounds like you have made great strides already. I think you are on the right track that the newer symptoms are likely all TMS . . . which explains why your throat tension has eased up. And I agree that anxiety can definitely worsen any structural symptoms, if that is the case with your left arm/hand. The goal of the program is getting you to a point where your symptoms, structural or not, no longer dominate your mind or life. If you get there, your remaining TMS symptoms should quietly go away. Good luck!