1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 12 Stress scale

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Moppy, Jan 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

I just completed the stress scale for day 12. When adding up the scores for various so-called stress events over the last 12 months I came in at over 300 which denotes significant risk for physical symptoms. Then I just did a quick summation of stress scores forEach of the last three years and they were a lot higher! In the last three years, my life has changed absolutely dramatically: major relationship ending, a significant physical injury which meant I couldn’t walk for six months, big changes at work which led to enforced retirement five years earlier than planned. This meant major changes in my financial state and a much smaller income than I had ever planned in my post work years. All a bit scary… The RSI in both of my arms which I have had for four years now has severely restricted my recreational activities and retirement has consequently been a major challenge.

It’s actually been quite a relief to recognise that there HAVE been quite a few external stresses in my life and that my TMS pain is truly not a sign that I am weak or wimpy… I’m actually quite surprised… In some ways, this stress scale has really helped to convince me that I do nn facthave TMS and I am now full of hope for the future thanks to the opportunity to do this SEP program and the wonderful support from all of you in the TMS community.

breakfree likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting comment about "weak or wimpy", Moppy. That kind of indicates to me that self-love may be lacking! If you think this might be the case, I can recommend just about anything by Louise Hay, but her pivotal movie, You Can Heal Your Life is probably the best starting point. I got the DVD from my public library, but I believe it's available from Netflix and perhaps others (not Amazon Prime, I just checked). Or it's $4.95 to stream it from her website http://www.hayhouse.com/you-can-heal-your-life-the-movie-landing

Anyway, it's a great introduction to self-acceptance and self-love. If you don't love yourself, you will not ultimately believe that you deserve to heal.

~Jan

3. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

Yes - I forgot to add that trait! I know that my self acceptance is VERY low...feelings of unworthiness reign supreme! I have always felt guilty about being in pain, which is pretty weird when you think about it, isn't it? I am punishing myself twice: once by not allowing myself to feel the emotions in the first place, and then again beating myself again up for having the pain that results from that....and as you say, probably also believing deep down that I don't deserve to heal. Thank you for the Louise Hay recommendation - I read the book You Can heal Your Life many years ago and thought it was very good although I think I need to hear those messages again. I don't know the movie at all so I will chase it up. Many thanks, Jan!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Moppy. I hope you will strengthen your believe that you deserve to heal. Your subconscious mind is your friend, giving you pain so you discover the repressed emotions or perfectionist or goodist personality traits that are causing the pain. I just checked Netflix and they have that movie and two others by Hay. She is terrific.

5. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

Thank you, Walt. Yes, deep down I think I don't believe I do deserve to heal....Quite a revelation really. Thank you for the Netflix recommendations– I don't actually have access to Netflix at present but in the meantime, I just did some searching on YouTube and found some wonderful videos by Louise Hay including one in particular, How to Love Yourself – 10 Steps to Loving Yourself and it’s brilliant, absolutely fantastic! It certainly complements all that I am learning through this SEP program. She makes the point quite explicitly that the quickest way to change ANY problem in our lives is by learning to love who WE are… So true.