1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

"Stop talking to me the way your brain is talking to you!!"

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by NolaGal, Aug 26, 2013.

1. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

"Stop talking to me the way your brain is talking to you!!"

My husband said this to me yesterday and he was spot on! We were working on a project and the deadline is approaching, and that's when I get a bit nervous and my perfectionism kicks in and I think I'll never be able to get it right (and everyone will know I'm a horrible, incompetent failure, etc....)

I started getting bitchy and bossy with him and he turned the tables on me. I've been doing the Structured Education Program on here and discussing a lot of it with him, so he realized what was going on in my head. He also said that's how his parents treated him, transferring their anger and frustration onto him. I know my mom did it with me, too, and the fact that I was doing that to him was a real wake-up call.

We talked about it and when we resumed working a few minutes later, he told me to "just leave your brain out of it", lol!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It is surprising how much other people can see in us that we fail to see ourselves. This is especially true for our inner bully, which can be difficult to identify. Having someone in your life who can point out when this inner bully is coming out is very helpful.