1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

STOMACH STUFF HAS LEAD TO INTENSE ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lala, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Lala

Lala Well known member

So what has started out as a TMS relapse with stomach symptoms (gastritis) has now morphed into really intense depression and anxiety. How do I stop myself form slipping further into the rabbit hole. I am working with a Homeopathic doctor on a remedy to help me with this...waiting for remedy in mail. I know this is TMS...but I need something to get me through this dark period. I'm drowning.

2. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Well it's great that the emotional stuff has started to come up. Sounds like you've had a shift :) I think this new rush of feelings will be a very intense but temporary surge. I would say do not fight it. Let the feelings come up and feel them. Allow the feelings to wash through you. And they will be released. :)

I just went through a very similar thing with horrible gall bladder pain and then I went in to a deep meditation and let the feelings come. I started out by asking myself what else I was feeling when the pain began and feelings came up of isolation and anger. This has passed through me and I feel great now. The pain is gone.

Lala and Peggy like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Lala,

Dr. Schubiner's book Unlearn Your Anxiety and Depression is very good. He states that anxiety and depression are TMS equivalents and the treatment is the same for them as physical symptoms and pain. So if you haven't done the SEP, it is very good. Also, Clare Weekes' books and audios are very good for anxiety. She recommends pretty much what @lexylucy has recommended above--acceptance of the feelings, letting go of fear.

Wishing you peace of mind...

Anne Walker, Dahlia and Lala like this.
  4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Lala

Why not a MD? to help you threw this. and what has changed in your life that you having this attack? I have gone threw these issues with my stomach and once I realized in was stressed induced my brain decided to stop my stomach pain and give me leg and foot pain which I have had for 4 years I have it in check with meds and therapy…But the last 4 yrs have been pretty bad emotionally from sick child to my father getting very sick and passing away alway to a unfaithful wife.

So I ask again whats going on with you?

Lala likes this.
  5. Lala

Lala Well known member

Hi guys. I have done the SED program. My first bout of TMS (foot pain mostly) was in 2002, then I had a relapse around 2012 with foot, neck, shoulder pain and that is what brought me to this site. It was then that I did the SED program.

I have been seeing an MD for my stomach stuff. He has done blood work, ultrasound and an endoscopy. All show no much, with only minor inflammation of my stomach lining. Hence the stomach stuff is definitely TMS. I tried going on Nexium for 4 weeks, it didn't help and just made me nauseous. My TMS symptoms vary from gas/stomach pains, to insomnia, to anxiety, to depression. Sometimes all at the same time, sometimes they switch off. I know that this is all generated from repressed emotions. I'm in intensive therapy. I meditate, do yoga, visualize etc etc. The tools are all in my tool box and I'm using them...but stuff is coming up that must be deeper than my TMS bouts before. There is nothing critical going on my life...I have a good marriage with a wonderful man, a healthy child, a job I love (I teach ceramics in a High School), and very loving/supportive friends. On the surface my life is good, but I think my unconscious self hates all the responsibility I have...towards my students, my son, my husband, the pressure to be a good friend and daughter. Then there are the larger issues of mortality and my aging parents (who are healthy and active, but I am terrified of losing them some day).

I just feel stuck...like I'm doing all the right things to address this, but the symptoms persist...but perhaps everything is just coming to the surface and that is why things feel so intense. The session I had with the homoepathic doctor was very very intense. He and his partner used a technique called FOCUSING (Dr. Eugene Gendlin researched and came up with this approach) which really helped me a connect with some very painful, repressed emotions of loneliness, feeling trapped, isolation, anger, sadness etc. I am trying to learn the FOCUSING technique myself so I can access my feelings more readily. I wonder if all this anxiety and other symptoms are intensifying as I uncover some deep emotions that I typically have a very difficult time accessing (I can talk about my feelings, but I have a hard time feeling my feelings).

Boston, I'm so sorry to hear about all your struggles. Each of those things is terribly stressful. I struggled with foot pain for years until I found Mindbody medicine, which helped me get through. This stomach stuff has thrown me for a loop as it is a new place of discomfort for me.

Ellen, I'll talk a look at the things you suggested. Thanks for your support everyone.

6. Boston Redsox

Ellen

Thx for sharing , it sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself doing what you are doing...meaning keeping the perfect family life. Been there and failed, but I excepected the fact that I could not change people around me, I had to change myself on how I reacted to things happening around me.

I also suffered greatly with stomach stuff for awhile and like I said it switched to my legs. I am in therapy weekly and it just helps to get out what you are feeling to a unbiased opinion .

I am sure you will be getting some better outlook on what's going on from this Incrediable bank of caring people on this site.

My advice is don't put so much pressure on the healing.

7. Lala

Lala Well known member

Thanks Boston, Yes, I'm in therapy...i just have a tendency to talk about my feelings rather than feeling my feelings....that is why i like this focusing technique...allows me to really feel, acknowledge and release my feelings without judgement. Yes, I am the ultimate perfectionist. I think right now I'm resisting and I need to surrender and let go. Like you said...don't put too much pressure on healing...just be. It is hard when you are a control freak. Even as I type this I feel the tears well in my eyes (which is a good thing for a non-feeling intellectual like myself) when I type the word control....it is so hard for me to let go...but I"m working on it.

8. Boston Redsox

That was me …….but not anymore I just let it go. At first it was hard for me to see things that where not right too me and I just wanted to fix it but I did not.
    It took a lot of time for me to get to that.

Lala just let it go you will feel better, when I am sad, happy,mad whatever I say to myself what am i feeling inside.Take it slow and you will heal you have done it before I wish I could say that my issues just switch and are still hanging around.

God Bless

9. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lala. Since you mentioned several times having trouble feeling your feelings, I just wanted to suggest Somatic Experiencing therapy. I feel the same way, that I was too much in my head and that I had a hard time really feeling my feelings, particularly anger. The Somatic Experiencing was really helpful to me.