1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 still with the symptoms, but filled with hope...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Patti Kimler, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Patti Kimler

Patti Kimler Peer Supporter

I have been diligently doing the work, and although I still have the same symptoms, I have hope that I didn't have before.

I just read Peghanson's profile (part of the educational work), and it helped a lot. Her physical/medical diagnosis was the same as the diagnosis I received this week: bulging disks, degenerative disk disease and arthritis. And she started jogging at age 52- the same age I am now. I am fighting depression because I feel so limited, but I am so very hopeful. And I'm nothing if not stubborn, so I will keep going with the intention that further along in this journey I will be an inspiring success story!

Thanks for being there (I can hear you breathing :D). -Patti

2. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Hi Patti,

I, too, have been diligently doing the work, yet still having the same symptoms. They do seem to wax and wane more, however, which tells me that something has shifted. It is enough to keep a spark of hope alive in me, and a spark is all I need.

Good luck!

Valerie :)

3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Hi Patti,
    I am hopeful for you as well! I battle depression and anxiety along with the physical pain. I know how limiting, even paralyzing it can be at times. I completed the SEP a few days ago. I actually saw more improvement with the depression and anxiety from the program than I have realized yet with the physical pain. I'm still keeping at the work and maintaing hope that all the pains will leave in time. I remind myself that they didn't show up all at once so it's reasonable that they wouldn't leave that way either. Keep hold of your positivity! This is a wonderful, compassionate, and supportive group of people. I'm glad you're here.
    Leslie

4. Patti Kimler

Patti Kimler Peer Supporter

Thanks Leslie and Valerie. So nice to know you're out there. I'm determined to work all the way through, with no slacking on the tough emotional stuff. There have been tears, revelations, and break-thru's. And is it my imagination, or are the symptoms getting ever-so-slightly better? I'm cheering for you both- I've always wanted to be a Sucess Story. Let's do it! :D

5. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Your determination is commendable! Just be careful not to let it get the best of you. When I started the program I approached it in my traditional "to-do list" manner. Every step to the very best of my ability with the goal of being able to check it off the list for that day. I was "keeping my eye on the prize" so to speak. I got to the first "self-care" day and my perfectionist tendencies went wild. Take a day off - that's not an option - nothing is getting accomplished if I'm having a day off....not to mention I'm still working on actually learning how to do that! Some wonderful people pointed out ALL that steps and goals that are actually being completed during that rest that I wasn't even aware of. Bottom line is that I realized that I was so determined to complete the program, accomplish my mission and check off my list that I was missing the journey. Don't slack but don't but don't push with so much force that you break either. I actually have some people in my life that I count on to tell me to "take five" because that idea rarely enters my head.

Don't get so focused on the destination that you miss the scenery on the drive!

6. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, Leslie, work accomplished in your unconscious mind during a break is like background formatting in a computer. Your mind is changing even (especially!) when you're not paying attention to it. That control freak, do everything on a check list like a machine mentality is really apart of the TMS perfectionist personality type Steve O. talks and writes about. Alan Gordon also has a look of valuable insight about trying to hard when he advocates what he calls "Outcome Independence". Of course, do as I say, not as I do! I think Jackie Gleason said that!