1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Still feeling the pain of TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by SME61, Aug 13, 2017.

1. SME61

SME61 Peer Supporter

Hi All
    I know that our experiences vary quite a bit, so I am hoping that some of you can offer advice and even some reassuring words.
    I have been living with TMS for over two years now. I figured out it was TMS after a year of seeing physicians who could not help me.
    The unrelenting pain down my leg and stinging has not gone away, but the pain level is only a 2 perhaps a 3 and sometimes not at all. However, when I do have pain, I am having a very challenging time not ruminating on it, obsessing about it or getting scared. Unfortunately, the more I worry and obsessed I become, the more it bothers me.
    I know my pain is caused by my brain that is trying to distract me from the "fear" emotions I have. I also know that I am safe and that nothing can really happen to me and that it is only a little pain.
    However, my mind/brain is programmed to obsess about this. I have tried cognitive soothing, mindfulness, journalind, the SEP Program and everything else, but I can't seem to stop obsessing about how long this will go on.
    In a sense I feel trapped in a never ending journey, I see a paychologist once a week and a pyschiatrist once a month and am taking some medication.
    The good news I guess, is that I have had some periods a week here, a week there, where I haven't felt pain and I don't obsesss. However, overall I just seem to be looping back to pain and worry.

Has anyone ever experienced this and do you have any advice for me?

Thanks!

mnjeaner29 likes this.
  2. TheWayBackUp

TheWayBackUp Peer Supporter

I am new to this but wanted to share some thoughts. Is the pain at all better than before you began the TMS journey? I have heard some people take longer to heal. Also, I am wondering if you might try a different psychologist and also the chance that taking the medication might be stopping some of your TMS healing?

3. mnjeaner29

mnjeaner29 New Member

SME61,

I appreciated your post from Sunday. Did you get any feedback on this? I am having a similar experience.