1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Starting Out after years of TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by bman, Jul 17, 2017.

1. bman

bman Peer Supporter

I am 66 years old, good health, exercise almost every day and retired.

I have had TMS for many years - started with Back Pain. I have attended Dr. Sarno's lecture by Dr. Gwodz, a student of his, on two occasions starting in 2009. Although my back pain has come back off and on since then I am usually able to get rid of it in 1 -2 weeks. I also have had peripheral Neuropathy since 2002 - it went into remission after about 6 months but then I developed RSD in my left Foot in 2005. That took three months to go away and a year to get rid of the limp I developed. For the most part the neuropathy has been in remission for 12 years - I would get burning after about 2.5 - 3 hours of walking and no pain at night. In 2015 I had a heart attack that was due to a long-term stress event. Since my heart attack I had a 4 month battle with kidney stones culminating in an operation. In addition, I developed bullious pemphigoid. - an auto immune disease.

In January of this year I developed Sciatica for the first time - very painful, from a pinched nerve at L4, SI. It got better in about 3-4 weeks but it triggered a flare up of my neuropathy. I have radiculopathy in my right Leg with pain and numbness in my left foot; as well as pain and less numbness in my left foot.I also have a pinched nerve in my Neck with pain and tingling in my right Arm.

The pinched nerves seem to be improving a lot - but the neuropathy is still painful when I walk and at night. I strongly believe the pinced nerves are TMS and but am not sure about the neuropathy. To date, the neurologist has not figured out why I have the neuropathy - thinks its hereditary.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, bman. I think you have to believe that the neuropathy is not hereditary but due to TMS repressed emotions, like your other symptoms. Journaling in the SEProgram will help you to discover what those are and you will heal.

3. bman

bman Peer Supporter

I have been dealing with TMS for years but my brain keeps switching symptoms - hopefully the SEP program will help me to succeed again! I believe that my heart attack affected a lot of my thinking especially since it was not caused by heart disease. There is little that I can do about it and it shook up a lot inside. Having my unconscious mind giving me multiple symptoms at the same time was a first for me, but I know I will get better.

4. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

Thanks for sharing your story. I too have had tms for years. I got over back pain, neck pain and many other pains. Now there was a stressful period in my life and suddenly mds are telling me i have polyneuropathy of unknown origin. I am quite sure its tms but its difficult to truely convince myself. Tms is always evolving and i now think neuropathy is one of its new manifestations for many individuals. Keep fighting and you will conquer this.

5. bman

bman Peer Supporter

Jinmat7,

I have had neuropathy for 15 years, but it has mostly been in remission for all of that time except for the first year and three years later. I developed sciatica in January which seems to have triggered the neuropathy to flare up. My pinched nerves are definitely responding to the TMS Recovery Program and Education programs. The pain and numbness of the neuropathy are harder to address. I don't have much pain when I am not walking, but the numbness has only gotten a little better. I am working hard with the belief that it is TMS but it is harder than the other symptoms, especially the numbness. Unfortunately, conventional medicine has no answers other than symptomatic drugs with a lot of side affects. I wish you luck as well.