1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 STARTED SEP TODAY !! HOPE IT HELPS...PLEASE READ MY STORY AND REPLY

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by sagar, Aug 28, 2017.

?

STARTED SEP TODAY !! HOPE IT HELPS...PLEASE READ MY STORY AND REPLY

Poll closed Sep 4, 2017.
  1. HELP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. HELP

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sagar

sagar New Member

Hello Everyone,

My name is Sagar and i am 31 years old. Since childhood i was engaged in physical activity and played many sports.I used to consider myself a champion,so did others. I was that competitive in any sport.
    I was a good student in academics as well. I have my ups and downs in my academic career...I managed to complete my Masters in Mechanical engineering.Life was going on smoothly along with my physical activity.

After i joined as post graduate trainee in one of the company which was in May 2013 , i was playing cricket(bowling) and i felt a snap in my back.1 week later pain started at my calf muscles i could not drive my car.I went to a local doctor and he prescribed some pain killers...pain did not go away..Then i went to orthopedic doctor and he told me that you have a slipped disc(after conducing a straight leg raise which i still cannot do) and had to get an MRI to be sure. So i got it down and the report said disc extrusion at 2 levels(L4,L5&L5,S1) i was a little worried since my dad and brother had this i had seen them suffer. I was under medications and rest for 45days and pain subsided.

But then the pain always comes back sometimes severe(8 on 10).I still have pain after many treatments including Ayurveda,exercise,epidural etc etc.

NOW THE QUESTION IS DO I HAVE TMS??

And by the way i have read Dr Sarno's book Healing back pain and didn't have any effect on me although i saw myself in almost all pages :)

2. TheWayBackUp

TheWayBackUp Peer Supporter

I am new to this so I am not sure, but you might. Please stay on these forums and in the program!

sagar likes this.
  3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sagar,

Welcome to the forums, you're in the right place! Sounds like we have really similar situations- i'm around your age, also had a sports/dance injury years ago, got an MRI and it showed the same diagnosis as you have (extrusions at L4-5 and L5-1). I had periodic back spasms, almost yearly, from age 16 until last year when I discovered TMS. I had pretty bad chronic back pain and sciatica last year after the most recent spasm. Since then I was able to make a full recovery, consider myself pain-free and feel awesome! As a PT I had to be sold on all of this but it just makes so much sense once you understand it. Chronic pain from herniated/extruded discs is nearly always TMS, 99% of the time! There are a few extremely rare cases where the nerve is "truly" compressed but this is super rare and i've only seen a few, it would usually result in unusual and severe symptoms. You almost certainly don't have this :)

It takes time to learn and accept TMS but there are so many resources on this site. Have you read anything since the initial Sarno book?

sagar and Lunarlass66 like this.
  4. sagar

sagar New Member

Hello MindbodyPT,
    Thanks a lot for your reply , Its great to know that someone with a similar problem has found success of making full recovery.Its really inspiring.
    To know that chronic pain from herniated/extruded discs is nearly always TMS, 99% of the time is really helpful , i had my doubts because i got the pain when i was doing a physical activity.Thanks a lot for your reply :)

MindBodyPT likes this.
  5. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

You're welcome! Yes often the pain does come on with a physical activity, many others have that story. And sometimes a herniated disc will hurt when it first occurs but the original injury will heal within weeks. Best of luck on your recovery!

sagar likes this.
  6. sagar

sagar New Member

Thank you so much :)

7. mnjeaner29

mnjeaner29 New Member

Hi Sagar,

I can't offer much but I do want you to know that I too, have read some of Dr Sarno's books and I know I "see myself" in the pages. Like you, I unfortunately, have not felt the healing effects of having the knowledge...Just wanted to you know that you are not alone.
    I'm sure I have TMS but I think my subconcious doesn't want to fully except anything. I wonder if this resonates with you.

8. sagar

sagar New Member

Hello mnjeaner29,

Sorry for the delayed reply,and thanks for your reply and support , the way i see it is ..may be you have suppressed emotions and anger for so many years now... it will surely take some time and the healing doesn't happen overnight and our mind doesn't want to give up too easily. So keep going strong..Eventually pain will reduce....i am still in pain but do not want to give up:)

Good luck :)

mnjeaner29 likes this.