1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Spoon Theory

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ann Miller, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Ann Miller

Ann Miller Well known member

I was recently reminded of the “Spoon Theory.” For those of you that don't know what that is, the spoon theory is a metaphor used to explain living with chronic pain or illness. I’ve seen it used to explain living with depression, anxiety or autism as well, but for this discussion, I’m going to concentrate on chronic pain...cause that’s my forte :)

In the model, we are each given a finite set of spoons each day. For those with chronic illness or pain, the daily tasks such as showering, working, walking the dog, grocery shopping, or doing laundry can take more spoons of energy than those individuals that do not have chronic symptoms. The spoon theory is used to explain the limits that sufferers of chronic symptoms feel. It’s helpful for the family to understand that daily tasks are not necessarily easy.

I used to describe myself as having a “full bucket.” I felt like as long as I kept my life completely in balance, didn’t work too much, sit too long, stand too long, eat the wrong food, drink or sleep too little, then I was able to function. If anything new was added, it threatened to spill the full bucket over. People, I lived YEARS in this full bucket, not enough spoons mindset...at least a decade. A decade of fatigue, dizziness, fibromyalgia symptoms, crippling back pain and spasms.

I don’t know if the mind/body work that I did grew my bucket or gave me more spoons, I just know that for a few years now, I haven’t even THOUGHT about not having enough energy to do what I want to do. I have quite literally forgotten the spoon theory ever applied to me. I am endlessly grateful for the journey, the teachers, and the silverware in my metaphorical drawer. www.pathsbeyondpain.com

Piano Mom likes this.