1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Spirituality and TMS recovery

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Msunn, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

This maybe off topic from most posts! Let me start by saying I'm not trying to impose a belief system here, or judge anyone else's belief system.

I've been involved in a twelve step program for several years. There I've learned to "surrender to win". An essential part of that program is finding a higher power and turning my life over to his/her/it's care.

In TMS recovery as I've heard it so far, in a very simplistic way, it seems to be about my concious mind understanding what's happening in my subconcious, and recognizing my physical symptoms are the result of unresolved emotions. Just understanding that much has helped tremendously to reduce symptoms of RSI related to playing guitar.

For those of you so inclined, how do you incorporate prayer, relying on a higher power etc. into your TMS healing? Thanks!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I use meditation in my healing and as part of that I connect with the higher power. I also use thankfulness as a daily practice (before I sleep) to remind me of what I have accomplished, of how well the day has gone, and of how lucky I am compared to so many people in the world. I feel that I use what I would loosely call 'prayer' throughout the day, whether it is blessing someone or something, appreciating a natural event (a rainbow, a full moon) or calling on a higher power for help, for energy, for clarity. So the spiritual component is sort of built in to my whole day, including the 2 hours I do on TMS work, I don't think I can separate it out. I suppose it depends on your religion or belief as to how easily it fits into the TMS work. But I think we all can do with some extra help from outside ourselves whilst struggling with TMS! I am a pagan and find that the honour and reverence for the natural world which is part of that path really helps in my healing. I expect that any belief system, organised or unorganised, can be utilized to help.

3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Also pagan.
    Given I have faith it is indivisible from healing for me. The Shadow aspects of tms theory jibe well with Soul centred beliefs too. Maybe I'll revisit this theme later as I am baking steak pie and I believe it's about ready. Blessings.

hecate105 likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

For me the work of healing TMS (or of life, for that matter) is accepting and loving 'what is' (perhaps 'reality' is a better word for it). However, I don't attribute reality to a 'higher' power, but I do believe there is power there. I feel that power most through practicing mindfulness meditation. Perhaps that can be considered a form of prayer.

Baking steak pie mindfully would be considered a form of prayer in my paradigm.

hecate105 and plum like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

One of the first things I got out of reading Pain Free for Life by Scott Brady, MD, was to make peace with God.
    A Catholic, I was pissed at priests, bishops, even the Pope (then) for allowing pedophilia. I stopped going to Mass
    and putting money in the collection basket. I began to just talk to, trust, and love God with no priest middle-man.

It helped, but I still felt alienated from the Church. Dr. Brady's advice sounded good... if I hoped and prayed to
    get rid of my back pain, TMS-caused, I knew, I needed to make peace with the Church.

I went to confession and admitted my angers and frustrations with the Church, got absolution, did penance, and
    could breathe freely again. I had simply decided to toss the ball to God and let Him handle the problems in his church.

I think prayer and asking God's help in healing pain is vital to being pain-free. I'm not an evangelists or a "Religious Right." I'm just
    like the guy in the back row pews at church who has spent a lifetime on my knees praying to and loving Jesus and God and
    feeling comforted in their love and care.

Add God to TMS healing and you have a dynamite duo. And its free and can be done right from home. Just talk to God and tell him you're sorry you were on the outs with him, and ask him to forgive you. He will, and the pain will go away.

Aren't we lucky, to have God helping us heal? No matter what religion we are or what God we pray to. He's there for us.

hecate105 and nancy like this.
  6. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Thanks Hecate I also find getting extra help that goes beyond my thinking mind, which can sometimes go in circles!, is very helpful. I like your observations. thanks.

7. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Thanks Plum. I guess on one level having to accept the TMS diagnosis completely before seeing results is an act of faith. It does help me to turn it over to a higher power and use some of the tools which have helped me heal on other levels. I'm still working on this though. The symptoms can be so convincing at times that I start trying to deal with that rather than the emotions.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  8. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

I do find that when I am able to be present in the now, without all the mind chatter, I feel a connection with something very spiritual. I also find that during those same times when I can stop thinking about my hands, symptom lessen or go away! I also live in a beautiful place so getting out in the forest and hiking etc also helps. I've been doing some mindfulness meditations which I've been getting a lot out of. this is a great forum and it really helps to connect with others. Thanks Ellen!

Eric "Herbie" Watson, Ellen and nancy like this.
  9. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Very well said Walt, thank you. I especially like "Add God to TMS healing and you have a dynamite duo" I also grew up Catholic, went to Catholic grammar and High School and still have some unresolved issues from that to say the least! I would consider myself spiritual, not religious these days, but I can see where making peace with the church, letting go of resentments etc. could be beneficial.

10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is so cool, I get up in the morning and pray to the lord Jesus-
    I speak as a friend and I use my power to command great things into my day,
    then I go about my day doing what it takes to make those great things happen.

I know as long as I do my part, his power and his wisdom will always lead me in the right direction.
    I incorporate Tms healing as a beautiful walk in nature and falling in love all over again.

With a smile from peace and happiness I seek even more hope and more power for my enthusiasm till im in a bliss of hope and healing.
    If I miss a day, its like my guitar playing, I have to do some major warm-ups to get back to the easy flow, the rest in him ya know.
    Although I don't sweat if I miss a day cause that's under my control too since I've been given the keys to my perception.

I can control what my life is about now , its no more tossing and turning as a ship lost without its rudder.
    I have the control and knowledge to fight the good fight of faith. Its a good mixture of Courage and Hope.
    Bless you

11. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Msunn)- In TMS recovery as I've heard it so far, in a very simplistic way, it seems to be about my concious mind understanding what's happening in my subconcious, and recognizing my physical symptoms are the result of unresolved emotions. Just understanding that much has helped tremendously to reduce symptoms of RSI related to playing guitar.

Eric)- With the above protocol and your higher power you got the path down pat Msunn
    Keep us up-dated
    Bless you

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Msunn, you got it. That's what it takes to heal from TMS.
    What sounds simple is really very profound.
    God gave us a brain and we're actually starting to learn how to use it.

I don't think I really had a clue until TMS entered my life and my head.
    Now it's here to stay. Thank God the pain isn't!

nancy likes this.
  13. Eric "Herbie" Watson

I totally agree Walt, Msunn has it down

nancy likes this.
  14. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

thanks for your input Herbie, very nice thoughts/observations. I am understanding at this point, that the fear I was holding onto when I thought this was physical, is more of a stressor than the original problem! And what helps on one level is "letting go and letting God" and trusting. It is getting better, and finding others who have gotten through this really helps.

15. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Thanks Walt. I can really make things complicated, so it helps to know the answer is simple!
    As I've relaxed more with TMS I'm really observing some of my triggers where pain gets worse. Im also keeping an evidence sheet and the symptoms change, move, etc. so it's really making sense.
    I used to think, How did I just hold my body to cause the pain that just happened, and now it's more about trying to understand that I get tense, or try too hard, or get uncomfortable, and the symptoms get worse. I appreciate the encouragement.

hecate105 and nancy like this.
  16. Eric "Herbie" Watson

This is so cool, yes we have to have the soothing part ya know
    I know sarno lays out the healing routine and he mentions the rage sooth ratio once in the
    Mind body Prescription. So we incorporate mindfulness and other technique to sooth the rage.

Rage only means anger that is built up in your mindbody after 30 or 40 years
    I see why he calls it rage ya know, its in the subconscious but all we need know
    is to get back to living and lose the fear and anger, practice soothing and letting go

Its a beautiful Walk Msunn, nice to have you on the journey
    Bless you

hecate105 likes this.
  17. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

SteveO talks about rage in his chapter 14.
    I hope Msunn takes a look at my summary of it I just posted
    about the call-in next Tuesday.

We don't think our meter goes up to rage but in our TMS repressed emotions,
    it's there, causing us pain.

Herbie your hosting of the call-ins is terrific.

18. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Thanks for the info Walt. I couldn't find where you posted that. I'm in the category of one who has a hard time finding rage but it's probably there!

19. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Hello Walt, I sent you a private reply to a lovely and encouraging note but I am not sure I am doing things right here. This is my first time on a forum. I read somewhere not to reply by email and I am not sure how to do so on the forum. Anyway, let me know if you get this!

quote="walt glenview, post: 17448, member: 520"]One of the first things I got out of reading Pain Free for Life by Scott Brady, MD, was to make peace with God.
    A Catholic, I was pissed at priests, bishops, even the Pope (then) for allowing pedophilia. I stopped going to Mass
    and putting money in the collection basket. I began to just talk to, trust, and love God with no priest middle-man.

It helped, but I still felt alienated from the Church. Dr. Brady's advice sounded good... if I hoped and prayed to
    get rid of my back pain, TMS-caused, I knew, I needed to make peace with the Church.

I went to confession and admitted my angers and frustrations with the Church, got absolution, did penance, and
    could breathe freely again. I had simply decided to toss the ball to God and let Him handle the problems in his church.

I think prayer and asking God's help in healing pain is vital to being pain-free. I'm not an evangelists or a "Religious Right." I'm just
    like the guy in the back row pews at church who has spent a lifetime on my knees praying to and loving Jesus and God and
    feeling comforted in their love and care.

Add God to TMS healing and you have a dynamite duo. And its free and can be done right from home. Just talk to God and tell him you're sorry you were on the outs with him, and ask him to forgive you. He will, and the pain will go away.

Aren't we lucky, to have God helping us heal? No matter what religion we are or what God we pray to. He's there for us.[/quote]

G.R. and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.