1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sore throat after not being able to speak up!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Wendyc, Feb 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

So my grandfather lives alone most of the time. I have an aunt that stays with him as much as she can but right now just had surgery and can't go take care of him. She lives about 30/40 min away from him so she is having others in the family help. She asked me to go to the house and clean and make things look nice while my cousin takes him to her to visit. While cleaning I became so overwhelmed and physically tired I stopped to take a break and feel what I was feeling which was sadness and some anger. I knew I wasn't tired yet but I felt it so I started to just go through my feelings and I cried a bit not a lot cause I was not at home and still had plans later so I held some feelings in. I text my cousin and I put a post on my social media that I see how much work there is at my grandpas house and the family that is helping needs a break because this is so much work. I really wanted to point out which members and speak up but I don't like people mad at me. Anyway once I finished within an hour boom sore throat and cold symptoms!! I've lasted weeks with everyone sick around me and now I get it. I really think it was the result of my stress and not being able to speak up. My aunt is at her house trying to test and all she's worried about is if her dad ate today and if he is drinking enough water. My mom also worries and goes to help after work and she's been feeling depressed.. Both have. Now I really see why and how much work it is. I was helping before this time but my aunt was there most of the time so I didn't see how much there is to do daily .. This time she was gone about 2 weeks for surgery and the house was sad .. You could really tell he was bored and doesn't eat much. Food just left in containers cause he won't bother to microwave it. Luckily my cousin when she dropped him off she left him with more food hopefully he will eat. Sorry if this post is long but I really think I got sick from the stress plus on Friday I had a stressful day at work were I was pointed out for a mistake. A mistake I also admitted to being partly responsible for, but I felt super angry at myself and at the meeting but I held it in. I think I was accused of not caring about my work when the truth is I was trying my best and I missed a detail.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

It's is hard going through this. I have been there and am still there.
    It breaks my heart to see my oldest sister and what she faces day and night with her failing health but I thank God I'm able to help as I know you do too dear.
    I learned my reactions to these consequences was the culprit behind my emotional distresses.
    If I feel to cry, I'll cry then I let that emotion go and then when I see her again I'm thankful for my time I have with her.
    I took the anger and learned that was my reaction.
    Now I can enjoy more time helping her and feeling at peace.

On the job i don't react to my bosses or other workers issues with me.
    I know In my heart that's there emotional distress they're trying to take out on me when that happens.
    In the past I would have beat someone's a**.
    But that would not be my reaction now, I just smile at them and they look at me like wow.
    We can learn to have a power of peace by not reacting in anger to these circumstances but in peace.
    Bless you

Ps. Yes hurtful emotions can cause sore throats cause it weakens your Immune system.
    Read Candace Pert - Molecules of Emotion

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Ellen, Lavender, Sienna and 2 others like this.
  3. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

Thank you :)

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. butterfly_queen

butterfly_queen New Member

Hi Wendyc,
    I think you're right. Sadness often goes to my throat. Also, I get a phantom sore throat when I find myself speaking my truth to family members because I don't feel safe doing it, yet feel it is part of my healing to do so. Be kind and compassionate to yourself and rest after this happens, it usually calms it down. Hope this helps.

Wendyc and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  5. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

Thanks, it did turn into a full blown cold... agh but I'm doing ok :)

butterfly_queen likes this.
  6. butterfly_queen

butterfly_queen New Member

Hang in there and rest. Feel better soon!

7. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Thank you Herbi, your posts are so full of peace and insight.
    I also suffer from frequent sore throat, so when I feel like crying I wonder- 1-It is healthy to feel emotions, but 2-Sadness and hurtful emotions will weak mmy inmune system.. how can we deal with this?

Now I have little activity due to a knee injury and every time I go outside.. I get a cold, which has me out of my pool rehab---and this is so frustrating.

God Bless

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Sienna thank you.
    Remember to feel the emotion and let it go only after it dissipates from you not reacting to that emotion anymore.
    Example, you feel the emotion, you might cry or get angered but after some moments of time, like 5 or ten minutes you should feel the emotion let up and lighten if not go away all together.
    This is when it's good to not react to that emotion anymore, you could again, but after a while not reacting to the emotion and just feeling it will help you recover from the tension this emotion or emotions produce.
    Now for your second question.
    Please don't think your Immune system is getting weak when you feel your emotions. It's only making your system weak when you are reacting to those emotions over and over by habit but if you know to feel them and just let them be there without fear or labeling them then your Immune system is fine.
    It's only when we suppress these emotions over and over then this creates repression and even depression thus creating weakness in our immune systems.
    So you already know to feel the emotions. When we do this we might have some tears or anger as said above but remember after we feel them then have that emotional release then the emotion will dissipate not creating repression or pain or sickness.
    I'm going to leave a ted talk that you've probably seen. This is important too so don't stress about any of this, that's a reaction, and if you do just train yourself not to. You'll be fine, bless you.

Sienna likes this.