1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Son (14 yrs) with tms?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by summer123, Nov 9, 2018.

1. summer123

summer123 Newcomer

Hello
    I have had several bouts with tms and am a firm believer in it. I have read all Dr Sarno’s books and Steve O’s book also.

My 14 year old son is experiencing unexplained back pain. We have had several MRIs done and have seen 2 pediatric neurosurgeons in the NYC area.

He’ll never read the books and goes to therapy 3-4 times a month (started while I was divorcing his father). He has no signs of back pain when he plays sports. So how do I help him since this back pain is, I believe, tms?
    Thanks in advance for any insight and suggestions.

2. summer123

summer123 Newcomer

Just to add...the doctors and MRIs show no back problems or issues

3. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Is the therapist someone who knows and believes in tms or a therapist who is experienced in somatic therapy (ie, mind body therapy)?
    Since your son is only 14, are you able to discuss with the therapist their views on this ? Since your son already regularly sees a therapist, I think that is the best route and a very good one. If the therapist isn't open to dealing with his back pain as a somatic issue, then it might be time for a different therapist.