1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Some powerful podcasts

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Colly, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

I want to share these with you. The first is a great interview with Gabor Mate on addiction and its origins - very interesting. This has helped me reframe my often clouded perception on those with serious addictions. Highly recommend listening.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/the-addicted-mind/6705420

The second is also excellent, and features an interview with a London-based neurologist who has broken new ground in the treatment of psychosomatic disorders - one of which features on a thread by IrishSkeptic about conversion. BTW the first part of this podcast discusses Hypochondria - or health anxiety. Also fascinating listening, especially, the origins of the interviewee's illness.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/imaginary-illness/6847086

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I was a health worrier but not since learning about TMS. I wish I had learned about TMS years ago, but at least I know it now.

I am also more sympathetic about people with addictions. I grew up in a family full of alcoholics but only until I learned about TMS did I understand that some people turn to drinking because they have TMS symptoms but don't realize that is causing their pain, or that they try to deaden the pain with alcohol. Others rely on medications. I believe now that if we believe 100 percent in TMS causing our pain, anxiety, etc., we can handle it all. I am now more patient with those having addictions.

Thanks for sharing those excellent links. Lots of good TMS healing in them.

Gabor Mate is one of the greats.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

These are some quotes from Gabor Mate on addictions...

“Not all addictions are rooted in abuse or trauma, but I do believe they can all be traced to painful experience. A hurt is at the centre of all addictive behaviours. It is present in the gambler, the Internet addict, the compulsive shopper and the workaholic. The wound may not be as deep and the ache not as excruciating, and it may even be entirely hidden—but it’s there. As we’ll see, the effects of early stress or adverse experiences directly shape both the psychology and the neurobiology of addiction in the brain.”

“It is impossible to understand addiction without asking what relief the addict finds, or hopes to find, in the drug or the addictive behaviour.”

Gabor Maté, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction

Zumbafan likes this.
  4. Colly

I agree Walt - since discovering TMS healing I am far less prone to panicking when I have a new ache or pain. In the past I would obsess, as pain had been my constant companion for so long, so my initial thought would always be "oh no... how long will this stay with me". I can catch myself now when I go down that path and stop myself now.

One of the most interesting points Mate makes is about how stressed parenting not "bad" parenting is contagious, and how he himself passed on that anxiety to his kids.

Good to hear from you!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    Sienna and IrishSceptic like this.
  5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for sharing Colly.

I've not read In The Realm of Hungry Ghost, is it worth reading?

6. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

The worried well represent a huge market for Pharma companies, they know well that people can psychosomatically create symptoms as do most Doctors. I think Doctors dont yet appreciate the true scope of it.

You see it in adverts for different things, provoking those prone to suggestion or worry

This Parody is close to the bone

another one

Boston Redsox and Colly like this.
  7. Colly

Sooo true!!

8. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Colly,
    I enjoyed the interview on addiction. Thank you.
    Andy B.