1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Sleep & Tms /book?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jwoll, May 21, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Jwoll

Jwoll Newcomer

Hi everyone,

I have long covid since dec 2020. Alan’s book (the way out) helped me so much! I discovered this forum lately and the advices & succes stories are really helpful.

I still have symptoms every day, but it’s a lot less then a year ago. Only my sleep is really bad. Waking up realy early and really hard to fall asleep again. I read some succes stories here on the forum (from Ellen for example). This is really helpful!

I also read something about the book ‘Say good night to insomnia’. was this helpful for anyone? I really want the approach to be a mind-body approach. Is this book also like Tms?

Maybe you also have another succes story for me about your insomnia!

Thank you!

2. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

My wife has read and used "Say Goodnight to Insomnia," and claims that it has been a tremendous help to her.

Sita and Jwoll like this.
  3. Jwoll

Jwoll Newcomer

Thank you for sharing!
    Do you know if it aligns with Tms?

4. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

Since the author employs Cognitive Behavior Therapy techniques, I would say that it is compatible with TMS treatment modalities.

Jwoll likes this.
  5. RoseofTime

RoseofTime Newcomer

I have also used "Say Goodnight to Insomnia", and even without reading the book in full, it has helped me SO much. Just follow what it say and it will help you, I believe. For me, the first few weeks involved getting better sleep, but not more sleep. Then, once sleep ceases to be scary, you can actually start enjoying it and being comfortable with it, which can result in better sleep. I am sleeping through the night every night and spending no more than 20 minutes laying in bed before sleep for the first time in several years, directly as the result of the information in the book. Good luck!

MWsunin12 and Jwoll like this.
  6. Jwoll

Jwoll Newcomer

Thank you so much for your reply! Good to hear that it was so helpful. I’m really curious about it. I just want it to be like TMS because I believe in this approach! Do you think the book is also approaching sleep in a TMS way?

7. RoseofTime

RoseofTime Newcomer

In some ways it does approach it in a TMS-esque way, but it isn't a one to one correspondence. The basic idea is that we can't "force" ourselves to sleep, so we pretty much have to create a space in which sleep can come, and have to create positive thoughts around sleep, only be in bed when you are absolutely ready to sleep, etc. It isn't *just* like TMS, but it is very compatible with TMS treatment in my opinion, and is worth a try. It is very different from other books on sleep like those by Matthew Walker that focus a lot on "mechanical" aspects of sleep, such as light exposure, darkness, etc. This book mentions them, but focuses a lot more an the attitude you use when approaching sleep, your sleep thoughts, and things of that nature. Definitely give it a read -- I started having relief very fast and so did my mom who tried some of the techniques. As I said, so far I am not necessarily sleeping that much *more*, but I am actually sleeping comfortably and am not stressed about my sleep at ALL, whereas it used to be one of my main stressors.

Jwoll likes this.
  8. Jwoll

Jwoll Newcomer

your comment means a lot to me! I don’t want another book telling me about sleep hygiene. We’ve been there & done that, right? I know the drill.. It’s the fear of not getting enough sleep and how it is affecting my daily life. I sleep in a seperate room, holidays are difficult and when I have a nice thing planned the day after, I always have a bad night. So you’re explanation about the book is exactly what I’m looking for. In a way it does align with TMS, like the positive thought around it. Thanks again and I’m gonna buy the book right now :)

9. RoseofTime

RoseofTime Newcomer

Glad to hear it, I hope you give an update afterwards! Sleep has been one of my MAIN issues for years -- just today I was looking at an old journal from 3 years ago complaining about my sleep issues in the same way I was right before finding the book. One takeaway from the book is that sometimes we won't sleep as much as we want and that's fine. I still get less sleep than is ideal and it's a work in progress, but it is like day and night compared to how it was in the past. Now, when I get a bad day of sleep I just say "eh, I may be a bit tired today, whatever. I'll sleep even better tonight!", rather than "I slept horribly, I'm going to be soooo tired today, I won't be able to work or exercise obviously". I also started taking a 20 minute "rest" in a chair every day, but I don't fall asleep during it -- he discusses naps and such in the book.

Sleep hygiene isn't unimportant, but I feel like it is nowhere near being the cure for insomnia. Based on my experience and what I have read, it provides marginal improvements in sleep, and can help people who aren't insomniacs sleep better if they aren't sleeping well in a way that isn't quite insomnia. Ok, that's enough from me, good luck!

10. Jwoll

Jwoll Newcomer

Couldn’t agree more about the sleep hygiene.
    And I can’t wait to read the book. Thanks again and I will give an update later on!

11. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

My personal recipe for going back to sleep is pretty simple: I start with mindful deep breathing, along with mindful awareness of the scenarios or thoughts or conversations that are invariably jangling around in my head like a cage of squirrels - then I mindfully tune them out with self-compassion and continued breathwork.

I'm not even sure if "mindful" is a word that ever crossed Dr Sarno's lips, but I believe it's at the heart of this work.

12. Jwoll

Jwoll Newcomer

thank you! I also do some of this. Put my thoughts aside or right then down. Breath, etc. But it’s just not enough..

13. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you tried meditation?

Jwoll likes this.
  14. Jwoll

Jwoll Newcomer

I’m meditating several times a day. Also when I go to sleep. It’s soothing, but sometimes it’s not enough. The book is on it’s way. Really looking forward to read it!