1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

sitting has become a dangerous activity

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by eskimoeskimo, Jan 30, 2016.

1. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

I'm so hung up on sitting. It's pretty deeply ingrained in me that sitting is dangerous. I have to do a lot of sitting, for school, work, and even play and it scares me. I'm worried that I'm doing damage. Sitting is certainly when I feel the most pain, tightness, fear, etc. I'm never satisfied that my posture is good enough to protect me agains the degeneration of gravity! Can you help me see that this is silly? Sarno-fy me please!

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Eskimo. I suffered with low back pain from the time I was about 13. By the time I got to grad school I was standing in my classes, because sitting was too painful. Then I read Sarno's Healing Back Pain, and saw myself on nearly every page! I had no trouble accepting that TMS was the source of my pain. I gradually banished the pain, and today I have no trouble sitting. I did away with my back brace, special back pillow, back exercises, and all other props.
    So hang in there! Miracles are definitely possible dancea

3. eskimoeskimo

Thanks Gigi, always great to hear from someone who has had similar symptoms and got better. I'm still struggling to tap into any healing, any tips for diminishing fear?

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I've tried numerous things to counteract my subC's tricks:
    • Sometimes I tell it that I realize it's trying to protect me, but I'd rather face the feelings than experience the pain.
    • Sometimes in order to break the hold that fear has on me, I challenge my subC to do its worst--"Bring it!"
    The more I read TMS books, the more tools I acquire, but those two have worked for me.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  5. eskimoeskimo

This is great, thanks again Gigi, I'll spend some time this weekend mulling over these 2 points and think about how I can better integrate them into my day to day.

6. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

@eskimoeskimo here is a wonderful article regarding posture, read it and re read it until you start to believe it!! Then look around you perhaps even people you know who's posture is far from perfect and I will bet many are not in pain. I see people all the time with foward heads today known as "text heads" rounded shoulders, rounded backs you name it I've seen it and they are not in pain!

http://forwardthinkingpt.com/2012/1...tatic-posture-assessments-were-so-last-decade
    Some of the article may use technical terms but the point is structural differences in all of us that can not fit into the standard plumb line that the diagram is portraits. Also keep in mind we go in and out of this so called plumb line all day as we are not static or robotic but moving flowing organism's.
    FYI I teach snd practice Pilates and study the biomechanics of the body. I certainly work towards bringing balance to my body and others I teach but posture or lack of it is not causing our pain.

I hope this helps.

Warmly, Susan

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've always been a sloucher, although I know that I should put my shoulders back and stay straight. I am almost 86, an old dog who is trying to learn a new trick, standing with that imaginary plumb line up my spine. When I do it, I always feel better, and do better at deep breathing. I have to fight off thoughts about a fellow who always had his shoulders back, but who became a huge disappointment as a friend. I'd rather he slouched and was a better friend. In the army they said to "Stand tall!" It really is good, healthful advice.

8. eskimoeskimo

Thank you Susan, that article was the panacea that I was craving. Deep down, I know this to be true. I know that other people aren't worrying about posture the way that I am, and I know that it's not what's causing my pain. But my OCD takes over and I focus in on the posture and then tend to feel guilty because I'm doing damage to myself via the way I'm sitting or because of how long I've been sitting, etc etc etc. I've got to look at as an obsession problem, not a posture problem.

Thank you for putting this into perspective for me.

Best,
    E

hecate105 likes this.
  9. eskimoeskimo

Thanks Walt. I think tall posture is probably correlated with better mood and outlook. But, I've become so needlessly focused on and afraid of posture that it might be best to just let myself 'slouch' for a while.

10. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

@eskimoeskimo I'm so glad the article helped! BTW it would be a good idea to take breaks from sitting....get uo Stretch walk around take a few minute and go back to work! Movement heals so get up and move!

eskimoeskimo likes this.
  11. sundar kumar

sundar kumar Newcomer

How may of you have overcome sitting pain with a herniated disc? Sorry this may sound negative but i was to re-assure myself

12. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

My husband's chiropractor told him when he was in his mid 20s that he had a 'squashed' disc in his spine - probably caused by excessive work when young. He was told it would become very painful and need constant treatment, this was 'supported' by x-rays. He did get occasional back pain years later - which disappeared after he learned about TMS and did just the first week of the Structured Educational Programme on here. (he intends to carry on - at some point!) He has had no pain whatsoever since, despite working as a landscaper and building a house and garden in his spare time, as well as walking, cycling and paddling...
    I spent 20 years scared to do anything because I had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Now I work, walk, cycle, paddle and sit!
    How about concentrating on what you can do - take joy and happiness in walking, sitting, whatever you do...