1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Sensorimotor Psychotherapy vs. TMS therapy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Pemberley, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Pemberley

Pemberley Peer Supporter

Has anyone tried Sensorimotor Psychotherapy? I've been wanting to see a TMS therapist, but there aren't any near me. I can't do Skype counseling either since it's so expensive. My insurance covers someone near me who does Sensorimotor Psychotherapy. After reading about it online, there seems to be a lot in common with TMS work (especially after going through Alan Gordon's Pain Recovery Program -- sensorimotor also uses the felt sense/somatics).

If you've tried it, what was your experience? Any advice on what to ask the therapist about their methods to see if it complements TMS work?

Thank you!

2. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Hi Pemberley! It is so awesome that you have a SP therapist in network. I'm working with a Somatic Experiencing therapist and can share my thoughts since the two are very related.

I've found Somatic therapy to be HUGELY helpful. After just one session (in which I wound up shaking, like a trauma release) I felt safe in my body for the first time in five months. It cut through the wall of fear in a way that none of my self-talk had been able to.
    It's my opinion that, regardless of any past trauma you do or don't have, the experience of chronic pain is itself traumatizing. It's obviously different than severe abuse as a child, but it shares similar themes of loss of control, hopelessness, injury to bodily integrity, etc. So, most of us have wacky relationships to our bodies now, and any therapy that can help us reconnect and feel safe has value, I believe.
    Working with a SE therapist helped give me the freedom from fear to accept that I don't have a bad back. For me it was priceless.

Most somatic therapists are very open minded, so I think they'd be very open to you explaining your TMS approach to healing, and then catering to it.

Feel free to ask any more questions! Wishing you the best.

Lizzy likes this.
  3. Pemberley

Pemberley Peer Supporter

Thank you, Free of Fear! I agree with you that the experience of chronic pain is itself traumatizing. I feel very encouraged, and I'm going to go for it!