1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sensations not pain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Asherman27, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Asherman27

Asherman27 New Member

Has anyone experienced weird sensations such as skin crawling. I have it on my arms and legs. I only notice it when I sit and not side tracked with something else. . I’m almost certain it’s TMS but just wanted to know if anyone else has had this weird sensation? I’m still trying to accept that this isn’t due to my neck and back mri results. my Pain started with foot pain/itch 7months ago and then turned to pin pricks of pain /itching throughout. The last two weeks it’s morphed into this...

I have been using the curable app and doing some intense journalling. I feel like it’s helping but i find myself just “waiting” for this to be over. I know it’s not the right thing to be doing. Anyway, I have always had a history of anxiety. Through your my life with a history of an eating disorder in my teens and a total people pleaser and perfectionist. Any advise or words of encouragement would be so helpful! Thanks again

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like the symptom imperative to me! Throughout my life I've had many more neuro and other symptoms than pain symptoms. Skin crawling, or burning, or itching without rash, or prickling, or twitching - you name it, I've probably had it.

Asherman27 likes this.
  3. Asherman27

Asherman27 New Member

Thank you for replying! So there is hope to be able to banish this with belief that it’s TMS?

4. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

I agree with Jan, the symptom imperative is something that happens to a lot of us. I have had skin crawling on the front of my neck a couple years ago. It only happened during a certain stretching part of my exercise routine. Drove me a little crazy till I got on top of the TMS thinking. Good luck! Lizzy

Asherman27 likes this.
  5. Asherman27

Asherman27 New Member

I’m still reading about all of this. Could someone explain to me what the symptom imperative means?

The crawling sensation hasn’t happened since the beginning. This is something that’s happened in the last 3weeks. It kind of crept up on me. This journey of these crazy sensations/symptoms have been overwhelming to say the least.

Thank you all for your responses!

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Haha - depends on your definition of banish - although that's a term I use myself to describe my successes. I've had lifelong anxiety, and I'm not sure I'll ever be rid of it entirely. The goal is to get to the point where you automatically think psychologically instead of physically, and to rewire your primitive brain so that you don't end up in fear mode with every symptom.

The Symptom Imperative just means that your primitive brain will fight back against your TMS awareness by creating brand-new symptoms so that you stay worried and fearful. It's part of its distraction technique. Your job is to recognize what's happening and fight back.

Asherman27 likes this.
  7. Asherman27

Asherman27 New Member

Thank you so much Jan! I agree about anxiety. It’s learning how to manage it not banish it. I had postpartum ocd after the birth of my child years ago. I had to not fear the thoughts and know it’s theanxiety that’s talking. I’m learning TMS is no different.

Thanks so much for your advice!!!

Lizzy and JanAtheCPA like this.