1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Self-Forgiveness and How to Start

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Danielle Szasz LMFT, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Danielle Szasz LMFT

Danielle Szasz LMFT TMS Therapist

Being unable to forgive ourselves for mistakes plays a huge role in TMS symptoms. I have seen clients who still repeatedly beat themselves up for mistakes they made as teens or even as children and who often blame themselves for their pain. This is absolutely brutal on the nervous system and creates a constant state of fight or flight. Here's a little video I made on self-forgiveness and how you can begin to practice it (and it is a learned skill, not just something you should already know how to do!).

yb44, Ewok and MWsunin12 like this.
  2. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

It seems to me that self-attack (this post) and perfectionism (your June 27 post) are two sides of the same coin. I wonder if you have seen the following by Jon Frederickson: http://istdpinstitute.com/2013/perfectionism/
    I don't know whether you are into insight psychology at all, but it was helpful to me in regulating my lifelong habitual self-attack and perfectionism to understand its genesis.

3. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

So strange how the experiences we regret can be felt so profoundly, again. But, even our society and media is built on humiliation, pain, or mistakes. For example: people watch reality shows to see others fail or fight or fall from grace. It's no wonder we replay our own mistakes.

What do you think about practicing the opposite. Like remembering a time of feeling great or success or even peace. I'm working with this but my attention still wants to look at the negative. It is really a habit of sabotage, isn't it?

4. Danielle Szasz LMFT

I think you are exactly right. Perfectionism really comes down to how we relate to ourselves when we have failed or made a mistake. I love the link you shared because I think it can bring so much self-compassion to the situation to realize that it's not really us that is refusing to give ourselves the grace of being a human, it's different introjects. It helps so much to see those parts of ourselves for what they are -- parts that are scared and want to keep us connected to our loved ones and that ultimately are no longer adaptive.

5. Danielle Szasz LMFT

You are so right. There is some part of us that really loves to see people fail and reality tv/social media definitely seems to feed that. I love your idea of imagining the opposite and think it's so helpful in building resilience. As you notice, our brains are so hard-wired to want to replay the negative over and over and it takes a lot of practice and mindfulness to counterbalance that and also draw our attention to the good. Also, as you said, it's a matter of habit and neural pathways and I hope you are able to meet yourself with a lot of self-compassion and patience as you slowly re-wire your brain to also pay attention to feelings of peace or times you felt great.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  6. crashkahuna

crashkahuna New Member

Glad I found this old thread. Having a pain relapse now and feeling that this is my karma for things I did as a child. So far everything I've seen on TMS and Curable focus on dealing with rage reservoir brought on by other people. But right now it is the rage against myself. Your compassion and insight is much appreciated.

7. Danielle Szasz LMFT

I’m so glad you found this, too! I hope you can know that you are worthy of compassion and forgiveness for any mistakes you may have made in life. Mistakes are part of how we learn and grow.

8. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you, Danielle, and thanks to Crash for resurrecting this thread. It isn’t just physical pain that’s triggered. Experiencing a major drop in mental health. I would like to read more on how beating yourself up to prevent a repeat of mistakes actually does the opposite. I am heading for a further fall if that’s the case.

crashkahuna likes this.
  9. crashkahuna

crashkahuna New Member

Has anyone found that taking a break from 'the work' helps? Since I found this site and Curable I have been in a hurry to try and fix me.