1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

self criticism

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by ellie freegan, Apr 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

im not sure that i have been more self critical than normal lately which is what is asked on day 9 but i just thought id write about ways in which im self critical. I tell myself that things i get upset about are so minor compared to what other people go through so how dare i get upset. I tell myself that what i do to try to help others will never be enough and is insignificant compared to the scale of suffering in the world.
    In relation to TMS I think oh no im behind on the programme, I don't know if this programme will work for me because i find it hard to imagine it working.
    While im here does anyone have any views on if i get behind a day is it ok to do 2 days worth in one to catch up or best not to?
    thanks

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hi Ellie,
    I am glad you posted. You are like many here, "why haven't I done more, faster, better?" We are so hard on ourselves.

You know if I break my leg, and you get a paper cut, my broken leg won't make your paper cut feel better. They hurt too. Maybe what you are going through isn't as bad as someone else's stuff, but it is still stuff, and you have feelings too, even if you aren't aware of them. Its ok to feel a negative emotion. Denying them doesn't change them, it buries them. Haha, I am lecturing myself too!

It is best to just do one day when you pick back up. Don't pressure yourself, when you miss a day the info has more time to sink in.

There is lots to learn, be easy on yourself! Lizzy

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ellie,
    You can appreciate with each of these rejections, there is an inner child that is being told, respectively, that "your suffering isn't important," "what you do is not enough" and "you are not going quickly enough" In Dr. Sarno's work, try to contemplate how your inner child feels when she is told these things? Sad, angry, enraged, hurt? I say this, because this was a huge key for my cure and a foundation of Dr. Sarno's work: what kinds of feelings is the little one in you probably experiencing, but "not supposed to feel?"
    Andy B.

Lizzy likes this.