1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking positive and mutually supportive voice or video interaction

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by music321, Mar 15, 2022.

Tags:
  1. music321

music321 Well known member

Hi, I am a longtime member of this site, but have been away for quite a while. This is mainly due to having been very limited physically, to the point where I have difficulty using a computer on my own. I turned a corner recently. I thought, at some points in the past, that I had made the breakthrough needed to heal myself. In retrospect, I realized that I was mistaken. I would discover some little bit of information or something similar, and think that perhaps I had everything figured out. I now realize that recovery is all about mindset and not trying so hard. For the longest time I was trying to feel my emotions and just the right way, block out negative attitudes and just the right way, making some gains here and there before falling back, but in the end never getting better. I now realize that it's just a question of optimism, of not getting particularly worked up about this or that, I'm just going forward.

What really changed my mindset was interacting with somebody who was in a very similar situation to my own. I've corresponded over this site via the Forum with various people who had various issues to various degrees, but for some reason I felt that the situations of others were simply different than my own. I was, and am profoundly weak. It seems that most people on this site have symptoms that are not nearly to the same degree as mine, and I wondered how I would get better. It was in speaking to this person that I realized that the situations of others who have these sorts of problems, even if they differ in the degree to which they are experiencing symptoms, are very similar to my own.

I realized intellectually in the past that a change in perspective was needed to heal, but for whatever reason this was hard to come across. I heard a doctor explain this well recently. He stated that the part of our brain that we need to convince is not the intellectual part, it's a part which used to be known as the limbic system. I was puzzling over how to cause the limbic system to change, and couldn't come up with an answer. It was only when by chance I happened to speak with the person who was in a similar situation to my own, and had recovered, that I realized that interaction with others in a positive way, leading toward healing, is the key.

What I am seeking, are people would like to communicate with me, either via phone or video chat, so that we may positively reinforce our recoveries. Although typing on the site provides some value, I feel that it would be much more beneficial to actually interact in this way, as it provides more a sense of interaction. I certainly do not want to have conversations with people who are focused primarily on venting. I'm looking for people who realize they're going to recover, are working toward that, and would appreciate my help in doing so as I would appreciate their help. If you're interested in this, just drop me a private message. It might take a few days until I get back to you, but I will. Thanks, and good luck.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. music321

music321 Well known member

Refreshing post

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I think this is a wonderful invitation. Thank you for your clear expression.