1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Sciatica

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Lucyoneill, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Lucyoneill

Lucyoneill New Member

Hi everyone,

I am not new to the notion of TMS and have definitely had bouts of pain in various places which I've overcome simply by belief my body is ok and calming my nervous system.

Part of my pain issues have been back related on some occasions and piriformis/hamstring related on others. I love working out and lift weights too - sometimes I would get back pain after lifting but would just tell myself all is ok and the pain would go very quickly.

Earlier this week however, I was lifting soemthing heavy (just in daily life) so form was poor, I twisted to pick something up at the same time and after this, I had back pain for about 5 minutes. This went but hamstring pain remained - felt like a pulled muscle and was loads better two days later. After speaking to a physio (I didn't have an appointment she is a friend) she said it's probably sciatica (she diagnosed me with that before). Since this conversation, my back pain came back. I then went to the gym and did an upper body workout and since that my back has got worse.

I don't know why as I'm so much better at not worrying about this kind of thing now but all of a sudden I'm really concerned that lifting with improper form and twisting at the same time has caused something structural in my back and am now worried about continuing my normal weightlifting/gym workouts.

Should I just continue where I left off and calm myself when pain occurs or give it a break and see if symptoms subside? I thought I was all over the TMS stuff but this incident has made my fear return as there was an incident which could have injured my back.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I knew you were cooked as soon as I read that. There is No such thing as 'correct' form which means there is no poor form. We just do things. That whole 'form' thing is part of the Medieval Medical Mythology, as Sarno called it
    Of course she diagnosed it as a condition...that's her job. When recovering from TMS which is caused by Repressed emotions (mostly anger) and we have a TRIGGER event , like you did, the pain level usually goes UP when it is finally diagnosed. Now the structural wolrd has come full cirlce and your brain has something to chew on... "I am suffering from ______ condition"

LOL.. I have been pain free for a looooong time, but I am not 'over' anything. Anytime I fall asleep in my own life again, TMS can sneak in...it's like having Roaches. If you see one, you probably have a dozen...if you see two, a hundred!

The GOOD news is that you can start your recovery whenever you want. I have many friends like you who recovered the First, second or third time by just knowing that there is nothing really wrong, but the second law of thermodynamics usually catches up with them, and at some point they have to start looking at it from a psychological/emotional point of view if they intent to stay pain free. What was going on when the symptom onset began? What do I still BELIEVE about the body being fragile (correct posture, etc) what things am I conditioned to avoid?

..and your question? Only YOU know the answer to it. I usually go harder and right back at it when I have an alleged 'injury' (TMS) But Sarno said to return to activity when you have confidence in the diagnosis... which at this time is probably no?

If it helps at all, I am absolutely not even close to careful and I am a 56 year old, creaky not particularly healthy construction worker... I just believe in TMS , not in structural issues.

Piano Mom and Cap'n Spanky like this.
  3. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

@Baseball65 is exactly dead on in his comments. I really can't add anything.

TMS is a lifelong endeavor for many of us. That's because being human is a lifelong endeavor. It's not that we can't fully recover from our pain or symptoms. It's just that sometimes, an old symptom... or another symptom may appear. It's nothing to fear. It's just my brain saying, "hey asshole, it's time to pay attention to me".

I fully recovered from sciatica and tennis elbow and was essentially pain free for over ten years. Then years later, my TMS brain discovered chronic fatigue and its myriad of confusing and scary symptoms. I'm doing much, much better now. But it has been a challenge.

As I'm sure you are aware, there are a ton of helpful resource in addition to Dr. Sarno's work. Those that I have experience with and like a lot are: Nichole Sachs (especially her podcast and YouTube channel), Alan Gordon (he's got a free program here, a podcast, and his book), and Dan Buglio (YouTube channel). Each of them emphasizes slightly different aspects and techniques. But I've found each of their perspectives helpful.

Piano Mom likes this.