1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Saturday's Chat: Ozanich, Maté, maybe Alexander and definitely Fellowship!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

Last Saturday at our weekly TMS Drop-In Chat, the regulars decided that it would be fun to start reading a book together again. Therefore, some of us will be reading and discussing Chapter 7 in Steven Ozanich's The Great Pain Deception and Chapter 1 in Gabor Maté, MD's When the Body Says No: Exploring the Stress-Disease Connection.

Ozanich's book requires no introduction here, as it is one of our clear favorites. If you haven't gotten it yet, you can check out our Wiki page or the Webinar that he did with us.
    Interest in Maté has recently grown due to a thread started by MorComm in our main TMS Discussion Forum. It starts with a great video of an hour's worth of interview with Dr. Maté that is definitely worth the watch, whether you are interested in joining the chat or not.
    You can download the chapter that we will be reading for free through this link of Dr. Mate's website:
    http://drgabormate.com/whenthebody_chapter1/

The ground rule that we use when we discuss books is that anyone is very welcome to join us whether they have read the chapter or not. The chat is still a "drop in chat," so if someone drops in with a question about their TMS, that takes precedence. Likewise, if you want to say something about the book, please make sure to provide enough context that people who haven't read the book will still feel included. If you want to read ahead or not read at all, that's just fine!

In addition, Dr. James Alexander, Ph.D. has recently been posting in our forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious to learn more about his book, so I've bought a copy and will start reading it for Saturday. If anyone else is interested, in discussing the book, I don't imagine I will get very far in it, but I'd definitely love to hear your thoughts. It's available to read online immediately for just $10 from Amazon.

I hope to see you there!

Jilly, tarala and veronica73 like this.
  2. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

This is great ! Thanks for posting, Forest ... I will get busy reading ... ;)

eric watson and Forest like this.
  3. Forest

Glad to hear it. On Tuesday I participated in an online book discussion group and they did something that I thought was pretty clever. They assigned someone to give a brief summary of the book at the beginning of the session so that anyone who wasn't able to do all of the reading would be able to follow more easily.

I thought that we could do the same thing here. I checked in with Matthew and I'm going to start the teleconference software for about 20 minutes before the actual drop-in chat and will keep it open for 15 minutes. During that time, I'll give a brief intro to the readings for anyone else who shows up (and, of course, anyone else who joins is welcome to chime in--multiple perspectives always enrich the experience!).

I'll post connection details later on today...

eric watson and Jilly like this.
  4. Forest

To follow up on the above post, to join the discussion group from your computer or mobile device, click or copy and paste this URL into your browser:
    https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/48fb7aa8/18223171

To join the audio portion of this meeting, choose your dial in method:
    Dial-in Number: +16465837415

When prompted enter the pin number:
    Attendee Pin Number: 21558901

If you are eager to talk about the book, dialing in will provide you with the best and most stable connection. I just finished the GPD chapter and found it to be very interesting. Steve had a wonderful take on placebos and nocebos. I am positive we will have a vibrant discussion.

5. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Here's a brief Wiki biography of Gabor Mate that provides an overview of his work on addiction, attention deficit disorder, and the role of ACEs (Adverse Childhood Experiences) on subsequent brain development:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabor_Maté_(physician)

Mate locates mind-body disorders in the broader social context in which they develop, in the family in particular. Dr Mate sounds as though he is influenced by the Hungarian Marxist philosopher and social critic, the late György Lukacs (1885-1971):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/György_Lukács

Lukacs influence is so huge, it's hard to imagine Mate was not influenced by him, especially being Hungarian himself. Will have to ask him some time!

6. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Thanks Forest and MorComm for keeping us going and expanding in our healing. You guys are awesome !

eric watson likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

eric watson likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

eric watson likes this.
  9. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

What shaken Walt? I've been thinking about you for months wondering how you were. Don't think that no one cares or is not concerned. It's just tough to pull away from obligations.

Like, Arnold, I'll be back...soon.

Steve

eric watson likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Steve, I've finished reading your book. A terrific job. I feel a lot less TMS pain but some remains and
    I'm working on that with Eric Watson's help. We're writing a book together, mainly about his TMS
    journey, but also mine. Lots of work ahead, which you know all about.

My remaining back pain may be artritis or just aging back, but I'm not taking anything for it,
    not even aspirin or advil. I want to keep telling my subconscious that it's repressed emotions.
    I've done a lot of journaling about them and think I've finally discovered them all.
    Now I just tell my subcon I believe it's TMS and let it pick the emotions from the pack.

How's your book coming?

veronica73, eric watson and Jilly like this.
  11. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

How exciting ! Keep us posted :)

eric watson likes this.
  12. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Walt, if your back pain is still hanging around it's because you still believe there is some arthritis causing it, or aging. Since these things don't cause the pain, your small doubts make your pain linger. Dr. Sarno is 90 now and his pain is gone. If you have great doubt, you have great pain, if you small doubt, you have small pain. Lingering doubts yield lingering pain.

Your book sounds interesting, writing was also a healing tool for me, laying it all out. I never liked journaling but writing a book is a form of it that helped greatly. Writing about healing is the consistent integration into the deeper brain that everything is ok, and an integration of what Dr. Sopher called "accurate thinking."

My book is going well, it made a great impact last year in at least 10 countries. People heard about TMS for the first time and were astounded that they had it all their lives, but had been told by their doctors that they were falling apart-and so they did. I got a little over 2000 emails saying it helped take their pain away or that they had never felt better. But as a good Type T I want that number to be 20 million people.

Walt I know guys in their 80s who have healed so it will happen. The most important aspect of healing is BELIEF. That means, you must believe you are ok physically, and that, emotions that you cannot feel are causing your pain. These emotions stem from isolation.

Let me know how things are going,

Steve

eric watson likes this.