1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Saturday

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by deborah a burns, Dec 8, 2012.

1. deborah a burns

deborah a burns Peer Supporter

I finally have gotten to week 32...It's taken me a while to get there. I don't think I realized it until today but this pain did move and when it did it wreaked havoc on me. ​
    A part of me is afraid it's going to be like it was the first time it moved which put me in the hospital for 2 days. It probably won't but, there is that fear. ​
    I'm working on staying present. Hopefully, I will be able to catch the next Saturday chat. Will there be one over the holidays?​

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Moving around confirms the TMS diagnosis. You can do this. You know you have you have TMS. Talk to that pain, loud and clear, BE GONE WITH YOU.... GET OUT OF MY BODY. You can do it. You know what is going on.

deborah a burns likes this.
  3. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Deborah:

A huge part of conquering TMS is when we ALL arrive at our "fear barrier". This is the moment we must take the leap of faith, know in our hearts that this IS going to work, and just do it. I too have a "fear barrier" that keeps me from doing things I have done - even during the program. I have walked the beach without pain medication, but still I have fear of doing this for more than a 30 minute walk. Fear is still there. I am still working on the missing pieces to get me there.

When you are ready, take your leap of faith. Just do something small to start. The joy and confidence it will bring you will be huge. It is most of the battle! So as Sandyrae said: You can do this! You've worked your way through the program and are ready for that new life.

Now how to get around that leap of faith. Good luck and keep us posted.

BG

PS Not sure about the chat plans for over the holidays, but I'm sure Forest will post something soon.

4. deborah a burns

I forgot to ask something else. Sorry.... I was listening to Monte Huftle and oh I don't know, around the 3rd session on you tube he was talking about how the brain isn't trying to trick you..(not literally ). Well, that left me totally confused cuz that's what I've read in Sarno's books that the unconscious uses the pain to repress negative feelings or trauma. I used the dialogue that my brain is tricking me into pain. Did you get that from his talks or am I nuts?

Jilly likes this.
  5. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I haven't seen all of Monte's videos, but I don't think our brains are trying to deceive us...what Sarno says is that the brain creates pain as a distraction from underlying emotions that are seen as disturbing or unacceptable (like anger). It's the brain's way of trying to help, not hurt.

6. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

We take in data through our senses and one of the hardest things in the world is to discount the data your senses have received and interpreted---the data is legitimate and is very real. That is where the trickery or the deceiving of the brain comes in. You know the pain is real, you feel it...but the terms in which you feel it, the pathways are not from a physical injury. The pain is from mild oxygen deprivation. That is the slide of the hand in this card trick.

As Veronica 73 above said .... " What Sarno says is that the brain creates pain as a distraction from underlying emotions that are seen as disturbing or unacceptable (like anger). It's the brain's way of trying to help, not hurt."

7. deborah a burns

Thank you Jilly and Veronica. There's a lot of information out there and it can be confusing to weed through all of it. A big thanks again.

Jilly likes this.
  8. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

You got it...I'm new too ! 9 days...keep reading, thinking..it will come together !;)

9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

remember deborah dont fear the pain(i know beach girl talked about this part)
    you have probably been thru the ringer by fearing the pain time and again
    now when you think about the pain -like if your having a pain attack-
    just know that if you just mentally tell yourself (or verbally) i am not afraid anymore
    i have control of my body and mind now-and i release and let go of this fear-
    -again ,this sounds hard at first,but if you keep at it-you will win
    dont fear the pain-ignore the pain (or symptom ) yes-but dont fear it-
    accept that its like a broken leg-when we have a broken leg we know its there
    but we dont fear it, and we often dont think about it because we know that its going to heal-see-
    if we approach the symptom this way -(it will lose its power)
    remember the broken leg metaphor-we get the cast-we let it heal,
    were not fearing if its going to break again/
    were not keeping our mind on it -
    because we know in time its going to heal-and it does-....god bless