1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

RSI - How to Rule Out Physical Causes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tracybean, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tracybean

tracybean New Member

Hi there, I've been struggling with RSI in my right forearm and hand for about a year now after a lifetime of heavy un-ergonomic laptop use. It's gotten better and worse over this period... I try to be more ergonomic, and it eases... then I slack off and it flares up again, with each flare up being worse than the last. It's not excruciating, but it's very bothersome - a tingly burning type sensation.

Aside from trying a few different ergonomic mice and visiting a massage therapist a few times, I haven't really "seen" anybody about it. Because I assume any doctor will just say "sit more ergonomically" and prescribe pain killers. Ergonomics help a little, as does using my left hand more, but not enough. I have reduced computer activity, but never completely stopping it, as this is how I make my living. I also do all sorts of other things with my right hand like painting, construction, cooking, working out, etc. With basically no pain. Only the computer triggers, and it occurs almost immediately... typing is mostly okay, but mousing really gets me.

I am thankful to be learning about TMS early in this journey, and I have a lot of reasons to believe TMS could be the cause. But also a few reasons to doubt it.

So, there is that part of me that is afraid to fully believe it because .. well, what if it is a structural thing? What if there is some kind of real injury or inflammation or weakness or something that I have created with my repeated actions, and am making worse with the repeated mousing? And therefore preventing healing? Of course there is fear, and hard to trust a self diagnosis.

When I read about TMS and in Sarno's book, they say "get tested to make sure you don't have an actual disease or injury".

But I don't know where to start there, as I am wondering how this works with RSI. Who would I see and what kind of tests would I get done in order to rule out actual physical causes? What would a test be looking for? What would be considered an actual, legitimate "physical cause" when it comes to RSI??

Thank you!

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

3. tracybean

tracybean New Member

Thanks, can anyone personally recommend a good TMS practitioner (available by phone or skype) that knows about RSI issues?