1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Resuming exercise

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Solange, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Solange

Solange Well known member

It's been some time since I posted on here and things have been going pretty well overall.
    I've had relapses but have overcome them fairly well in spite of a few wobbles but now I feel I'm at a bit of a crossroads.
    Although I have been fairly pain free, beyond a good walk everyday, I have not done any other exercise and if I am honest I have continued to be ' careful' about what I do.
    In some ways, the better I have become the less willing I have been to challenge myself and the enjoyable experience of feeling physically comfortable and out of the severe back pain which dogged me for so many years.
    Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. I have always wanted to to do Roller Derby and a neighbour finally persuaded me to go to a local group. I was definitely apprehensive and journaled about that but I did a lot of affirmations and visualisation in the weeks running up and I felt genuinely excited to be going.

I went and had a great time. I found it quite difficult and physically hard to do some of the things I needed but I had no pain during the session, which was on Sunday morning and everybody there was really welcoming.I left feeling positive.Later on Sunday evening I ached a bit, acknowledged to myself that I had been a little anxious and congratulated myself on how well I had done. I kept on telling myself' your body is strong and healthy, you can do this.'
    On Monday morning I felt fairly comfortable when I got out of bed but as the day progressed I felt stiffer and stiffer and today, Tuesday, I think I feel stiffer again to the point where I have had to struggle to put my socks on! In fact, I nearly gave up and asked for help.

The thing is, it's not possible to ease yourself into something like this, you're either doing it or you're not. You can't approach it incrementally.
    So, strangely, I feel relatively ok mentally and continue with my affirmations and re reading Dr Sarno's book and watching him on YouTube but I could really do with some extra help here.

Am I experiencing TMS pain or is this just normal muscle soreness after doing a very physical activity after years of doing nothing more than long walks?
    How will I know and how should I approach the two different things? I do not want to give up, I feel like I have set my shoulder to the wheel and will be feeding TMS fears if I am nervous about going again. This is something I really want to do and I want to be able to do activities I love but have been scared to do.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Solange, your experience sounds like success to me.

And my answer to this is another question: Does it matter? (Hint: just say No!)

;)

3. Solange

Thanks Jan. I am trying not to care but it's hard.
    My biggest problem is knowing if I should 'baby ' myself a bit and avoid doing things which cause me pain for a few days e.g. Be kind to myself or continue with my daily routine exactly as normal even though it's causing me quite a lot of pain.

Am I feeding the TMS if I get someone else to put my socks on?!!! I really don't know.

4. georgethee

georgethee Peer Supporter

You asking yourself these questions might be feeding into your fear and anxiety. Making it probably worse.
    I don't belief in pushing through pain. If it is TMS then oxygen debt to nerves, muscles or tendons might be present and you still feel that pain. If its a muscle soreness you feel the same sensations except normal muscle pains clear up within days.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    plum likes this.
  5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

My TMS rendered me pretty much inactive for years, something which undoubtedly contributed to my baseline tension. After all the body not only needs to move, it loves to move.

I used to dance and when I compare my flexibility, strength and fitness today to how I was then I despair :( but I am optimistic and dedicated to full recovery and I see regaining those elements of health as positive goals to move towards.

I've been swimming for a couple of years now and am slowly growing in strength. I'm very mindful and very respectful of my body in this endeavour. This attitude is starkly different from fear or pandering to TMS. That has a completely different emotional tone and flavour.

Regaining my health and fitness is an inspiration that oozes from me. It's a desire. I approach it with the steady mindset of a middle-aged woman. No more pushing or punishing regimes, only the gradual nurturance of a better way of being. Health for me is now more holistic than ever before. It truly is mind~body~emotion~spirit. Tuning into each element really helps me tune out any TMS echoes that may sabotage my good intention.

Lastly the way a well-exercised body feels is very different to a pain-filled body. The latter possesses a tension. I think if you respect your body and look after it such as indulging in Epsom salts baths after exercising, all will be well.

A sensible, incremental return to exercise is all you need do. And perhaps focus on the pleasure it brings you :)

6. Solange

Plum, I like your idea of gradually nurturing myself back into exercise . I tend to lurch between being too tentative and then on other occasions like a bull in a china shop when I'm having a confident day. And we all know what happens to the china! I find it hard to get the right balance but I totally agree that pushing and punishing regimes are not for me and that a holistic approach is the way forward.